• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

TV as monitor

PC Experience
Beginner
Hi guys,

Using my Samsung 28" tv as the monitor with my new PC, but it tends to go off, and come back on every 10/15 mins or so.
Using HDMI-to-HDMI cable.
Was online with Samusng chat and it turns out the HDMI lead I was using initially was a 1.4.
They suggested a 2.0 at least.

Purchased a 'high speed' one from Tesco for about £12 which SAYS its 2.0.......i think...........but screen is still doing it on occassion.
Am I better off getting the more pricey 2.0 HDMI cable?
This is the 3rd cable I've tried, in the lower budget range but it seems the issue still not resolved.

many thanks, in advance

PC Experience
Beginner
Its a desktop PC purchased within last 2 months.
Got a 2.0 cable yesterday for £30 but its still not fixed the issues.

Went on to Samsung chat, and they said just to change the screen resolution.
Surely that just changes the size of the screen which is pointless in using 28" tv in the first place??

What SHOULD the PC resolution be?

AWS

PC Experience
Elite PC Guru
My resolution is set to 1920x1200.

Resolution should be set to whatever value your graphics card and monitor can handle.

Rustys

PC Experience
Some Experience
Using my Samsung 28" tv as the monitor with my new PC, but it tends to go off, and come back on every 10/15 mins or so.
Using HDMI-to-HDMI cable.
How new and is there still a warranty?

Was the system in use when the screen went blank?
What version of windows?
  • Have you checked the power settings to make sure they are still set prpoerly
How tight is the cable?
  • Between the TV and desktop
  • where it connects to the TV and Desktop.
Is the HDMI the only way that you can connect to the TV is there a VGA connection on both that can be tried and or another HDMI port on the TV?
Also does this happen with a actual monitor?

KenB

Administrator
Hi all,

Pretty much starting to lose it with this issue now.
I got a desktop PC a month or so ago, without a monitor, so have decided to use my 28" Samsung tv as the monitor.
Simple I thought.........or so I had hoped.
I have it connected by HDMI-to-HDMI, but every 10 mins or so the screen goes off and comes back on a second later with '1366x768@60hz' in the top left corner.
I was in an online chat with Samsung a week ago who suggested I get a 2.0 HDMI cable instead.
I purchased that but no difference......the issue is still there.
Went back on to Samsung at the weekend and typically enough with a different operator who suggested to just change the screen resolution on my PC.........and thats after I forked out nearly £30 for a cable!!!!
Ive now tried that but the different resolutions just bring the screen in, which is making having the tv pointless as a monitor, or they make the screen far far too big!!

Is there something I'm not doing..........,would I just be right in thinking to cut my losses, put my tv back on the wall in my bedroom and go and fork out for an actual monitor, which I didnt intend to do?
I've briefly looked at monitors and wondering, are they all generally the same of is there a certain one with a certain criteria for display I need to look for?
Why post this when you have a thread running on the same topic ?
I have deleted the other thread - please keep all relative posts together it is easier to follow.

Last edited: