• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

TV viewing through a PC

donq

FPCH New Member
I have a new Dell Inspiron 530 PC with Vista Home Premium O/S. There is an integrated hybrid (analogue/digital) TV tuner installed and Windows Media Centre. I would like to be able to view tv through the PC and I have satellite television supplied to my tv sets. I have followed the Media Center Set Up instructions (which are rather brief!) which basically mean connecting a remote sensor and then connecting a tv aerial to the TV In connection on the PC. When I run the Media Center programme to the point of tuning, it indicates no signal being received. Am I missing some important step or am I attempting the impossible? Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

donq

FPCH New Member
Hi Danzil, Thanks for your reply. This looks useful information. It looks as if I have been missing a very important point - I had connected my satelite aerial to my pc but made no connection between the tv and the pc. From the info through your connecting link it looks like I should be using an s video connection. Am I right about this?

danzil

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
if its a tv card you should be able to use the tv in connector,to plug in your satellite,,,,this will only receive the channel you are watching...unless it is a dvb-t card then a strong aerial is needed.
regards
danzil

donq

FPCH New Member
Thanks for the further info. Sorry to be a nuisance and I'm probably being a bit stupid here but what I want to do is to view tv tranmissions on my pc monitor. I have connected the satellite aerial to the pc aerial port but do I also have to have a connection between a tv set and the pc? The TV tuner and Windows Media Player was fully installed by Dell before delivery but there was very liitle literature supplied. I have a full satellite aerial so I don't think there will be any problem there

danzil

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
hi
nope you do not need to connect anything to the tv...unless you want the tv to acts as the monitor.....when connecting the aerial to the pc you have in theory created a tv,,,,the tuner is obviously what picks up the signal and the monitor would be ya tv screen,.nice and simple....supposedly.lol
regards
danzil

donq

FPCH New Member
Thanks again Danzil. I shall have another try. There must be some other simple explanation why I'm not having success!

Regards,

donq