• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

txtsetup.sif corrupt status 32768 while loading XP CD

Doo0592

FPCH Member
Hi all,

Here's the first of many questions I'll be posting soon lol. I'll keep them all separate like a good girl so we all don't get confoosed like me already is!

Error message:

INF file txtsetup.sif is corrupt or missing, status 32768.
Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit.

Message appeared after trying to boot from the XP setup CD. The laptop in question was running until it downloaded an update and then went into auto restart with STOP: 0x000000ED (0x8674c980...) UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME. I have a sneaking suspicion that it may have been SP3 but I can't verify as I cannot access the desktop through any of the safe mode options or load from last good configuration. I was attempting to use the CD to run chkdsk but this is where I ran into the first error message.

PC spec:

Sony Viao VGN-S3VP
Intel Centrino
Nvdia graphics card
XP pro

Sorry this is all I can give at the moment seen as I can't enter desktop :(

I know sony have a "recovery" tool but really all it does is format the drive which I would like to try an avoid for the moment...

Any help or pointers to articles would be appreaciated as I can't seem to find any good ones relating to this error message, even on the Microsoft Knowledge Base!

Cheers in advance...

- Doo0592 xx

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Hi Doo.

The Unmountable Boot Volume means the hard drive has errors.

Boot from the XP cd again, but choose "R" to enter the Recovery Console. At the command prompt, type in chkdsk /r (space between the K and the /) and press enter. When the chkdsk completes, type exit and remove the cd.

Now, clean the cd and run setup again.

Doo0592

FPCH Member
Hi Seth, thanks for coming back to me but I can't even get that far :( When I try and load the XP CD to enter the recovery console that is when the first error message that I mentioned appears and I can't boot the CD only exit.

I'll lay it out as it has happened in a linear fashion.

1.On last computer shut down (from desktop) windows ran auto update (don't know what it was updating-poss SP3).
2a.On next restart, computer went into auto restart with STOP: 0x000000ED UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME.
2b. At this point I cannot enter any safe mode or load last good config.
3. Tried running chkdsk from recovery console on XP CD to repair window installation but error INF file txtsetup.sif is corrupt or missing, status 32768. Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit. appears.

- This is the part I need help with as I can't find anything reliable on the net that explains/ solves the error.

Thanks,

- Doo xx

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
3. Tried running chkdsk from recovery console on XP CD to repair window installation but error INF file txtsetup.sif is corrupt or missing, status 32768. Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit. appears.
That's the part I don't get, as the RC has nothing to do with txtsetup file.

Let me get this straight. You get the RC command prompt, type in chkdsk / r and then get the above error?

Doo0592

FPCH Member
Lol. I didn't understand that bit either! Basically, the XP CD loads to "checking system configuration" and then that's when the error message appears :(