• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Ubuntu CD boot asks for password

bio-logic

FPCH New Member
Hi ,

because I reinstalled Windows, I can't boot Ubuntu anymore, I would like to reinstall it but here is the problem:
I'd have to boot my comp. with the Ubuntu CD in order to install the OS but I get a password prompt at the start. I used to be able to boot ubuntu from the CD but now I cant, and I dont have any ideas of what has changed since then. I tried the password I used to boot ubuntu from the HD but it didn't work. Anyone has any ideas of what could have happened?

JEBWrench

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
Windows XP - Media Center Edition
Did you have a different password on Ubuntu before your Windows re-install? If you did, try that one and see if it works.

bio-logic

FPCH New Member
Actually, the password I tried was that one (the one I always had even before the reinstallation of windows) But anyways isn't Ubuntu supposed to start without prompting for a password when you start it from the cd?... maybe I should try writing a new CD?

allheart55

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Operating System
Windows 8 - Pro
The very first time you boot from the CD you type in "root" for the log-in and for the password, they are case sensitive. Thereafter, if you are asked for a log-in and password, you type in "guest" for both. This has always worked for me...... ~Cindy~

JEBWrench

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
Windows XP - Media Center Edition
Ubuntu normally asks you to create your username and password during installation.

Did you reformat your Ubuntu partition before your re-installation?

allheart55

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Operating System
Windows 8 - Pro
I'm sorry, I guess I wasn't very clear about my Ubuntu. I run it from a desktop CD. I don't have it installed. Sorry, 'bout that. ~Cindy~