• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Undoing a System Recovery

judierudie

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Windows XP - Home Edition
Can anybody help? My Compaq PC was playing up and i couldnt remember how to solve it so i foolishly pressed F10 and did a System Recovery instead of a System restore. I have now lost all my files including precious baby pics. Can i ever get these back. Any help gratefully received.

W

Wolfeymole

Hi Judie

Welcome to Free PC Help

If you did a full system recovery which sets the pc back to factory condition then it is very doubtful that any of your files remain.

You could try this Data Recovery Software and see if that helps although it does cost.

judierudie

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Thanks, not sure whether it was a full one or not. Mind you how do people get access to stuff that paedophiles and the like delete? I didnt think you could get rid of everything forever.

W

Wolfeymole

Thanks, not sure whether it was a full one or not.
Can you explain what you mean please, did you do a destructive or non destructive system recovery?

The police and forensic labs use sophisticated and very expensive software when retrieving files of that nature Judie.

judierudie

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Im pretty computer clueless and i thought i was doing a system retrieval. I pressed F10 as the PC booted up and took it from there. Im at work now so not sure whther it was destructive or not.

judierudie

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Hi i didnt click advanced so i guess i just did a normal recovery. Does that make things easier?
I know i had to go through the Microsoft procedure again.

W

Wolfeymole

I have not thoroughly read those links but I will when i get a moment, I suggest you do the same when you get home.
All may still be salvageable.

judierudie

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Thanks for all your help. As PC came on at Compaq screen i bashed away at F8. Then put PC in Safe mode and went from there. Just got to find all my drivers now!

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Given the non-destructive recovery, you can find the pictures by going to Start>Search, and choosing Pictures. Leave the file name blank a under the Advanced options, make sure Search for hidden files...is checked.

Once you find the pictures and the folder that they are in, you can right click on the C drive, choose Explore, and navigate to that folder. Or, right click on a found picture and choose "Open containing folder". Then, copy and paste those pictures in your My Pictures folder.

Backup those pictures ASAP.

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
If you're unable to locate the pictures Judie then you need to stop using the computer as that will make it more difficult to recover your pictures and documents.

Very unlikely that you will loose the data, but you have to follow specific instructions for the recovery. Which will include needing access to another PC to ***ist in proper recovery.

Hopefully the method Seth described will be sufficient. If so that's great news, just remember that you need to backup all documents and pictures to another hard drive or burn them to a CD or DVD

Cheers

W

Wolfeymole

Good to hear Judie.
I'd also consider other backup media too for example you could burn the pics to cdrom etc.

judierudie

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Hi Im still getting error message "Cant get registry value key=software/globespanVirat/Adsl value = driver type" . Can i sort this or will i have to install a different modem?
Also when ive gone into "Change/Remove Files" not all the files on my PC are there , why is this and is there an alternative way to get rid of them? Cheers Jude

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Judie if this is a new problem or unrelated to the original post of data recovery you should post it as a new topic.
Thanks;
RandyL

alfa155

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
I too did a full system recovery and have lost photos that were very important to me for work, suppose there is no way of finding them again i suppose ?

Cheers
alfa155