• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

unknown password/no cd drive/no floppy - need to get into windows

butterfligh

FPCH New Member
Hi,

I just bought a laptop from a boot sale, Dell Latitude C400 runnin WinXP Pro, it has no CD drive, no floppy drive, it asks me for a username & password which I dont know & I can't get in touch with the guy I bought it from.

Now I either need to, somehow, get past the password request, or, re-install windows...

And without a CD / Floppy drive I don't know how to do the latter, nor do I know if it's possible to get past the password request.

ANY help would be very much apreciated.

I have a USB floppy drive handy, another laptop (working fully with CD drive), a desktop PC and Win XP on CD..

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease I'm desperate!

Thanks in advance

Regards
Butterfligh

Jamey

FPCH Member
If it comes to the Welcome Screen, press Ctrl + Alt + Delete twice in succession to bring up the "classic" logon dialog. Then type Administrator for the username and leave the password blank. On some machines, this works.

Otherwise, check if the laptop features a restore key (actually on the keyboard). You can usually press it during startup to bring up Dell's own restore software. Look in the BIOS to see if it is available there. To get into the BIOS, you usually need to tap either F1, F2 or Del (it should say on-screen very briefly).

While you're in the BIOS, see if there's an option to boot from USB. In that case, you could boot from the USB floppy disk you have. Also, does the laptop have an Ethernet (networking) port? Post back here.