• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Unwanted anti virus

FPCH New Member
Mar 22, 2009
PC Experience
Some Experience
Hello everyone. I'm new to the site and this is my first message. I am hoping someone can help me !
My computer is Windows XP. Up until last week I had avast 4.8 anti virus for about a month. I had messages reminding me of days left before expiry due. On the day it expired had a message from avast stating that my computer was no longer protected and on my security centre this also stated that I had no anti virus protection. I deleted avast icons etc. (I'd decided to try another type of anti virus) but I couldn't delete it from my control panel - Add/Remove.
Tried several options i.e. - Tried to install different anti virus - got message - unable to install as my compter already had avast ! - unsuccessful.
Tried three times to 'system restore' - unsuccessful. Now my 'system restore' no longer works.
If anyone can possibly help me to - delete avast in order to replace it and how to enable my system restore option again. Hope to hear from someone. Thanks !