• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Upgrade my system

mdocbe1

FPCH New Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
I have a Dell Dimension 9100 that is getting old: Pentium 4 (3.2GHz), 1GB dual channel DDR2 400 MHz (2x512), 2xATI Radeon X600 SE (256MB) and 320GB serial ATA RAID 0 Stripe HDD (2x160GB).
Also still running Windows XP.
I would like to upgrade RAM and video card especially to allow playing of more up-to-date games and am considering upgrade to Windows 7. Would anyone be able to advise me on best (and compatible) RAM, graphics card and whether or not Windows 7 is a good idea.

Many thanks for any advice given

PC Experience
Elite PC Guru
In all honesty, you need a complete new build for W7 or Vista.

New MOBO, CPU, RAM etc

If you were looking to speed up your current system then just add more RAM and a better GPU ( I couldnt find much info on the MOBO, but I would guess it has AGP graphics which would severely limit your GPU upgrade options) not what you wanted to hear, but if you are looking to run Vista or W7 (bear in mind they are DX10 and DX11) then you really need PCI-E graphics.

PC Experience
Elite PC Guru
Right so it has a PCI-E x16 slot, so it will be down to cost, the PSU is 375 Watts so thats fine, how big the case is, and what size monitor you plan on playing games on

Last edited: