• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Upgrading an old laptop running Windows NT

Eddie Le Jeune

FPCH New Member
I am a new kid, and could do with some advice

I have an old Dell Lattitude CP233ST laptop, which has WIndows NT, can this be updated/expanded, so that it can run say Windows XP. How much would this cost, and can it be done by a novice?

Thanks,

ELJ

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi Eddie;

The short answer is no.

Your system specs can be found at this Dell page.
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/pmojav/specs.htm

I believe you may have at most a 233 MHz processor.
It probably shipped with one 32-MB memory module.
The maximum RAM is 128 MB.

Besides the other details XP would never run on this system. Microsoft says that you need at least 128 MB of RAM but in reality 256 should be the minimum. And the processor is not even in the ballpark.

If I rememember right XP full cost about $200. Memory about $50 American.
Adding memory is simple but you would still have a computer that wouldn't function. As is your computer has no real value for resale purposes.

Don't throw money at it but if it works keep it as it is and use it.
Keep in mind security issues on this older system.

Hope this helps;
RandyL