• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Upgrading my 82945g Chipset to a decent graphics card,

tharobc

FPCH Member
Hi all - i'm new here so be gentle!

I recently got a new PC and it has a decent spec (2gb ram, dual core etc) apart from the graphics which is the above intergrated chip set.

I've never upgraded a PC before and need some advice on how to make my Vista PC recognise the new card I am fitting (a 8600GT).

Can i just shut the PC down, install the new card and plug the monitor into the new VGA port? WIll the PC recognise the new hardware or will I have to do something with the old 82945g first to disable it?

Many thanks.

Rob

W

Wolfeymole

Hello Rob

Welcome to Free PC Help

Is this your card here because if it is you should ok to just plug it in and away you go.

W

Wolfeymole

Well from what I read by googling it should run under Vista.
Obviously install any software that comes with it first Rob and you should be fine.

tharobc

FPCH Member
Legend - thanks mate. Hope someone is around on the forums tomorrow morning when i'm trying to install it - could be looking for some support!!!

Thanks again.

W

Wolfeymole

Thank you for your kind words Rob, perhaps you could tell your friends about us should they encounter any computer issues.