• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Upgrading to Windows 10

DebbieC18

PC Experience
Beginner
Hello,
Does anyone know how I would go about reinstalling the operating system (Windows 10/8.1) on a laptop that hasn’t been used before? Or whether you would recommend getting a professional to do it. It is a Dell venue 11 pro. Thanks.

KenB

Administrator
Hi and welcome to FpcH

reinstalling the operating system (Windows 10/8.1) on a laptop that hasn’t been used before?
A laptop "that hasn't been used before" ??
1. Did this laptop come with an Operating System installed or is there no operating system on it at all ?

2. Do you have a Win10 or Win 8.1 DVD that has not been used before ?

3. Does the laptop have a CDROM drive ?

KenB

Administrator
Hi Debbie

Yes, Windows 7 I think
So you wish to Upgrade from Win 7 to Win10 ....this is not Reinstall [ I have altered the title to show this :) ]

You don't have any method of playing a DVD on the laptop.
If you were to upgrade to, say, Win10 then your options are .....
1. To use a Memory stick with Win10 files on it.
2. To use an external CDROM Drive that connects to a USB port

I assume your laptop has USB ports ?

The cost of a DVD / USB version of Win10 is about £120
see here - Get Windows 10 OS | Shop & Buy Windows 10 Devices | Check for Windows Updates

This is assuming that your laptop has the facility to boot from USB.

Upgrading used to be free but Microsoft has since ended this offer.