• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

URGENT! Laptop drive died!

mario

FPCH Member
Hi guys and gals, just wondering if anyone could help with my problem.

I have a Travelstar 40GB Hitachi hard drive which was in a laptop and I use it now as an external drive in a USB case. A couple of days ago I could not find it on the laptop and no noise was coming from it. It seems that it has just stopped dead. I also attached it to my desktop internally and nothing. No noise it seems that its not spinning.

It just has word and excel documents on it but they are very important to me. So if anyone can help solve this problem or know if I can recover the data, and how do I go about doing that they would be a life saver!

Many Thanks

Mario

Tony D

Free PC Help Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
If you have an identical hard drive, you could swap the electronic circuit boards.

Otherwise at this point, here's something to try. Years ago hard drives suffered from stiction. Basically the drive wouldn't spin because the mechanism was mechanically stuck. You could get them to run by holding the drive in your hand and with a flick of the wrist try to unstick the drive. Of course this was done without power applied.

Then you would put the drive back in the computer and power it up hoping that you were able to unstick the mechanism. If it worked, you didn't turn the drive off until you pulled all the data off the drive.

mario

FPCH Member
Thanks kelly tried the flick f the wrist but nothing. may have to go down the route of trying to get an identical hard drive.

mario

FPCH Member
Thanks for the info, but I scared of damaging the disk more and losing the data. Also struggling to find another disk the same

W

Wolfeymole

I can't see you damaging an apparently non working HDD any more than it is now by at least giving that method a try Mario.

Some say it works and others have had no success.
Faint heart and all that mate.

Laptop drives are fussy little buggers at the best of times anyway.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Not hearing the platter spin is caused by one of these two:

1) The electronic circuit board on the drive is defective. In which case, replacing the circuit board will take care of that.

2) A physical failure of the read/write mechanism or platter motor. If this is the case, the data can be recovered by a recovery lab, but the cost is in the thousands.

...or the usb port isn't getting power which you already ruled out.

So, you took it out of the enclosure and installed it directly to the desktop?

mario

FPCH Member
yeah done that and still no luck, also tried the freezer thing and still nothin, I mite have to get a quote from a recovery lab and see wat the damaged may be. Dont no wat else to do.
Thanks again for the help guys