• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

URGENT!Power on/Start up issuses

Immo

FPCH Member
Hi guys,

Well after fixing the issuse with my hard disk I have another problem...

I came into work this morning to turn the PC on and I get a really quick flash of txt that is usual on the start up (with regard to the graphics card) then it just sits there on the Pentium logo...

Solutions? Not even the keyboard is lighting up. The internal fan is going but thats it. What would be the usual cause of this?

D

Immo

FPCH Member
It was a unmountable boot issuse you guys helped me with. Running the XP disks chddsk sorted that and its been running fine for about 2 weeks.

D

W

Wolfeymole

Sorry I should have backtracked your earlier issues.
This I have now done and it is my belief that the bios is not finding the operating system or even the drive itself for that matter.
It's showing the bios section and the logo.
Reboot and press whichever key it say to Enter Setup and tell us if the drive is listed in the bios.

Immo

FPCH Member
Can't actually see a key to press set up, its literally just some info on the graphics card and then a pentium logo. The keyboard isnt lit up either so I guess I cant press a button :-(

Any more ideas? :)

D

Immo

FPCH Member
I can use a PS2 keyboard np, just unsure what key to press as nothing appears, it literally is a quick flash of G card info.

D

Immo

FPCH Member
Just tried it with a PS2 keyboard, that does flash on from what I can see but like I say it doesnt seem to go far enough into the boot process to give me the bios set up option

D

Immo

FPCH Member
Ive just popped the cover, made sure all the connections are good etc and its booted first time...

Can only presume there is an issuse with a connection in there somewhere. Its just strange it doesnt get further than the pentium logo....

Anyway, cheers for the replies and I will keep you posted if it plays up again. Off to back up some data...

D

Immo

FPCH Member
Only just seen that link, must of missed it first time round. Will give it a read for reference.

No beeps.

So strange....

D

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
When you are able to get into the bios, you will find an option in which you can disable the post logo and instead see exactly what post is doing, and what device it's having a problem with. I would do that right away in case you run into the same problem.