• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

USB causing pc re-boot

discozippy

FPCH Member
Hi All
Thanks for any advice in advance.

im seem to be having trouble with my pc!!!:mad:
When i connect any device to the USB sockets the machine re-boots.
I tried a fresh install of windows XP home, but when I plug in the modem for the internet the system just shuts down and begins to reboot.

when i start the machine with no devices plugged into the USB ports it all works fine, but as soon as i plug anything in hey-presto it shuts down and re-boots again..

my sys specs are
Windows XP Home SP2
AMD Sepmron 3300+
ATI X1800XL

any help would be most greatful.

Disco.

discozippy

FPCH Member
hi thanks for quick response

yes tried all usb ports 8 in total 6 at the rear 2 on the front, also i have no ethernet, crashes when i connect web-cam, cable for transfering music to phone, modem.. well frustrating....

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Hi Disco.

That's actually a fairly common problem. What's happening is the computer is trying to boot from the USB ports. You should be able to change that option in the system BIOS (setup).

To access the bios, start the computer and at the first screen, you should see a message similar to "Press xx to enter setup (bios)". The key to press wil likely be either "ESC" or "F2". Once in the bios, go into the advanced settings and set the boot device priority to cdrom first, then hdd (hard drive) second. Also poke around and disable any reference to "boot from the USB device". Make sure you save the changes and all should be well with the USB devices now.

Note: Don't confuse "Boot from USB" with "Disable USB devices" when you're in the BIOS.

discozippy

FPCH Member
thanks for that, i will give it a try when i get home working at the moment. hopefully it will sort it out, if it does then thanks a million. :D

maynardvdm

FPCH Long Term Member
Hi

This happens when windows is already booted up - YES?

Did you re-install the usb drivers? To do this You need to uninstall the drivers and re-boot the pc.

Tell us how this goes.

I suspect it could be hardware related but first try the above steps.

discozippy

FPCH Member
hi
yes when windows has booted up, i connected the usb modem then it just shuts down and begins to reboot.
i will try uninstalling the USB and re-installing,
power supply is 400W BTW.

i have only just done a fresh install, i remember when it was installing it i got a error that said the file syssetup.dll could not be copied press enter to retry, so i did, i looked in the system error records in event viewer thats in admin tools and i had a red circle with a x in it.
do you think i would be worth trying another fresh install again?

maynardvdm

FPCH Long Term Member
When you did the fresh install did you format the drive also?

Well now is as good a time as any if you haven't loaded too many programs on yet so you wont loose too much. You can try just a repair install.

Tell us how you get on and if you struggle with anything and we will help the best we can.

discozippy

FPCH Member
yes i fully formatted the HD before the install, as it was getting a bit sluggish so i did a back up.

you know sometimes you wish you hadn't bothered, sluggish seemed so good to what i have right now. lol.

i will let you know how i get on.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
My apologies disco.

I misread your post and thought that the computer wouldn't start with a USB device plugged in, but the USB was fine when Window's was running.