• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Usb exteral hard drive needs formating

john-the-plotter

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
http://samsunghdd.seagate.com/gb/en/
My drive is Samsung M3 500gb It just has 1 usb connector and runs off the pc.
I know the drive is usb3 and I am on usb2 but it will work with usb2 just slower.
I am pretty sure it is not a PSU issue, this was replaced a few years ago with a 500w unit and has never given any problems and the rest of the pc works ok.
As for a USB problem, other phericals work in all the rear usb ports which is where I am plugging this.
And when I plug the drive into a port, Windows sees it and installs it, yet I doesn't show up in my computer as I described earlier. nor does it's software see it.

Plastic Nev

Deceased - sadly missed
Hi John, DSTM does now have the best idea, which is to remove the drive from the case and try it direct to the computer through the SATA on the motherboard. It may well be the electronic hardware inside the case has gone dud. It is all that is left now.

Nev.

KenB

Administrator
I still think, as the others do, that you need to try this drive direct using a SATA cable.

Also - I can't remember if you have tried this ..... does it work if you plug it into another computer ?

john-the-plotter

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Looks as though you seem to have exhausted all possibilities, but I am not totally convinced the drive is dead.
It is not all that old and has not had a great deal of use. The unit is sealed so I can't take it apart to try what you suggested.
The fact that some part of windows sees the drive and recognises that it is a Samsung M3, leads me to think that all is not lost.
I must try it in another pc and see what happens. It loots to me as though the drive is no longer NTFS, but I cannot find a way to reformat it.
I have got the Seatools drive tester burned onto a cd and run it as they tell you to. but for some reason it doesn't see any of my drives.

If you think you have exhausted all your ideas I will leave it at that , but I will carry on trying thinks in hope that it may someday work again.

Thanks for your help so far
John

KenB

Administrator
Hi John

I must try it in another pc and see what happens
this will confirm if the fault lies with the drive or not.
If the second computer does not read the drive then there is definitely a problem.

If, however, the drive is able to be read on the second machine then the problem obviously lies with your specific machine.

Let us know how you get on.

Top Bottom