• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

USB problem HI-SPEED USB Device in a non HI-SPEED port

rachel

FPCH New Member
My new mp3 player won't connect properly to charge off my computer from the USB port as it says, 'The MTP Device is a HI-SPEED USB device and will function at reduced speed when plugged into a non HI-SPEED port.' It says that I must add a HI-SPEED USB host controller to the computer. What is this and how can I get it? please help!

Jamey

FPCH Member
There are two versions of USB in widespread use today: USB version 1.1 and USB version 2.0. Version 1.1 is the legacy (older) version that can transmit data upto 11 Mbps, whereas version 2.0 is magnitudes faster. Your machine has a low-speed bus (as in, its USB ports are version 1.1). You can purchase a USB 2.0 PCI controller card that will allow you to have some high-speed ports. Then your MP3 player will be able to operate at full speed and charging should work fine.