• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

USB Problems

lou1012

FPCH New Member
Hi not sure if this a hardware problem or a windows problem but here goes . Nothing plugged into the usb ports on my pc is recognised, the printer drivers are installed but pc simply does not know it is there. The Digi Camera lights up when plugged in ( acording to its own instruction two lights when connecting , one when connected , all ok )but windows does does not "see" it. Even a usb mouse does not work .I have tried uninstalling all of the usb controllers, and that did not work.
There are no warnings in the device manager.
Any Ideas ???

PC is HP Pavilion a808.uk
printer is Epson DX8400
Windows is XP home SP2
mouse is Microsoft Trackball USB

W

Wolfeymole

Hello Lou

Welcome to FPCH

You will probably have to go into the bios and enable the USB aspect in there.

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi lou;
Disconnect all usb devices including keyboard and mouse if they are usb and use non usb ones and then go back to device manager and remove all usb root hub devices. Reboot and see what happens.

If that doesn't work you may need to see if there are updated drivers for it.

RandyL

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
It could be a policy setting, possibly caused by Malware as well.

Please give this a try and see how it works. You will need to restart your computer after applying this.

Copy and Paste the contents below into NOTEPAD.
Then save the file and in the Save as type: choose "All Files" and save it to your Desktop with a name like RemovePolicies.reg
Then double-click the file and it should ask you to save the information.
Click Yes and restart your computer.

Code:
[COLOR=BROWN]
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{D82BE2B0-5764-11D0-A96E-00C04FD705A2}]
@="IShellFolderBand"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{D82BE2B0-5764-11D0-A96E-00C04FD705A2}\InProcServer32]
@=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,\
  00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,53,00,48,00,\
  45,00,4c,00,4c,00,33,00,32,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,00,00
"ThreadingModel"="Apartment"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"SystemTray"="SysTray.Exe"

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StuckRects2\]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StreamMRU\]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\Desktop\]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer Bars\{32683183-48a0-441b-a342-7c2a440a9478}\BarSize\]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoBandCustomize"=dword:00000000
"NoMovingBands"=dword:00000000
"NoCloseDragDropBands"=dword:00000000
"NoSetTaskbar"=dword:00000000
"NoToolbarsOnTaskbar"=dword:00000000
"NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000
"NoToolbarsOnTaskbar"=dword:00000000
"NoSetTaskbar"=dword:00000000
"NoActiveDesktop"=dword:00000000
"ClassicShell"=dword:00000000
"LockTaskbar"=dword:00000000
"NoTrayContextMenu"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy Objects\LocalUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoCloseDragDropBands"=dword:00000000
"NoMovingBands"=-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer Bars\{32683183-48a0-441b-a342-7c2a440a9478}\]
"BarSize"=-
"Media Band"=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"Shell"="explorer.exe"
"Userinit"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\userinit.exe,"

[/COLOR]

Last edited:

lou1012

FPCH New Member
Well thanks Advanced Setup . now I cannot even log in to it .I click my user name, it starts to log in then before it has even finished it logs off . trying F8 and then using adminstrator does no good either

W

Wolfeymole

Sorry about this unfortunate occurrence Lou, I have PM'd Advanced Setup with regard to offering further advice to rectify this situation.

Please bear with us while he gets online.

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
I'm very sorry Lou - it appears the board software has a filter for bad words and attempts to
change the wording automatically which is what it did. I have changed the post from a QUOTE tag to a CODE tag
which prevents that error. (a bit too late for you - I'm very sorry for that but I just did not notice it in time)

This line here in the Registry had a space in it
Code:
"Userinit"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\userinit.ex e,"
It is supposed to be This
Code:
"Userinit"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\userinit.exe,"
If you have a Windows XP CD there is another method we can use in the Recovery Console to get you up and running and then you can use the Registry Editor to fix it, or you can use the method below. Let me know if you have the XP CD and want to try that method first, otherwise the method below will work and you can even check for corrupted XP files using the software below.

In order to fix it you will require access to another computer where you can download a 30 day demo of Microsoft ERD (Emergency Recovery Disk)
You will need a program to burn the .ISO image it will install to the other system.

Download these programs to the other computer where you can burn a CD

• Then install the downloaded Microsoft file (MSDaRT50Eval.msi) onto the computer
  • It will copy a file named erd50.iso to this folder: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset
  • Place a BLANK CD in the CD burner on the good system
  • Then install MagicISO and then launch MagicISO and select from the menu Tools, Burn CD/DVD with ISO...
  • In the middle of the form where it says "CD Image File" click the little folder icon and browse to the folder where the erd50.iso file is.
  • C:\Program Files\Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset\erd50.iso
  • In the other drop down where it says "CD-R/RW Write Speed" choose like 4X or 8X and then click on Burn It !

This will create a bootable Windows CD that has some tools on it that will allow us to repair the Registry entry.

• Put the CD you just burned into the affected computer that is NOT booting properly and boot from CD.
  • You may have to choose a key to select the CD boot option.
  • Once the system starts to load FROM CD it will try to load up Network drivers, just cancel that
  • Then once fully loaded click on the Start menu and find the Registry Editor and open that.
  • On the left side click on the little + indicators and walk down the tree until you get to the location
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
  • Once there look on the right side and you'll see an entry for Userinit
  • In that entry it has to say this EXACTLY including the comma at the end of the line
  • C:\WINDOWS\sytem32\userinit.exe,
  • If it does not say that, then double click on Userinit and change the entry to match the above EXACTLY
  • If it already does match EXACTLY as above then STOP there is something else that is causing the issue.
  • If the registry setting is ALREADY correct please post back and let us know.

Once you've made the change restart your computer and take out the CD and log on normally and it
should now let you log on to the system with your normal account.

lou1012

FPCH New Member
AdvancedSetup

thank you I can now log in to the pc again, unfortunatly still no luck with the usb connectios, although I think you are on the right track as the camera and my bluetooth dongle both light up with put into all of the ports, just pc does not seem to want to play ball. i did try and reinstall windows on a spare HD but even that did not work

Any ideas ????