• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Using memtest

pete

FPCH New Member
Hi guys. Just registered with the site and had a quick look around. looks great and I'm sure I'll find a lot of helpful information.

My first question is about how to use memtest or the free MS one that I have found links to.

Should I run the program and only put 1 ram stick in or can the programs look at all 4 I have in?

I'm getting re-booting issues and BSOD (ever since I bought the PC actually). It's always the same one so am desperate to find the cause.

I couldn't find the screen shot I had of it so will have to post that up another time.

When I've sent the error report to MS it says it could possibly be PSU/CPU/RAM and possibly the MB. I've just changed the PSU from a generic 500w ATX PSU to a Arctic Power 700w PSU. (This one from e-buyer http://www.ebuyer.com/product/124927 still the problem persists.)

Long first post, do apologise. Thanks in advance for any help.

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
Hi Pete and welcome to the board, no need to apologize.

Please answer a couple questions in order to help us assist you better.

1. What operating system?
2. What computer MFG/Brand and approximate age of the PC?
3. Is the RAM original or did you upgrade it and how much RAM is there?

You need to run the mtinst.exe which can create either a bootable floppy disk or a bootable .iso image to use for testing during a reboot. Most new PCs don't have a floppy disk anymore so your best choice is to save the .ISO image windiag.iso
Then you need to run some type of CD/DVD burner software that can burn .ISO images.
There are some free ones if you don't have something already like Nero or Roxio, etc..

You should keep all you RAM in the system when you test it.

Tony D

Free PC Help Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
I had an HP in here to set up. From the start - right out of the box, it was sparatically restarting. I reload the OS a few times. Ended sending it back to HP for replacement.

Sorry it doesn't answer the question on memtest, but I had to make the comment because you said the problem has be there since it was new.

pete

FPCH New Member
AS,

I am using Windows XP SP2
Custom built PC from Golden Electronics. Approx 2 years old or there abouts, maybe older. Cant remember when I got it.
There is 2Gb of RAM. 2 sticks are Kingston RAM which I upgraded and the other 2 sticks are just some blank Generic model.

I've made the ISO. I was wonder which method of testing would be better. Thanks for the replies.

pete

FPCH New Member
Kelly said:
I had an HP in here to set up. From the start - right out of the box, it was sparatically restarting. I reload the OS a few times. Ended sending it back to HP for replacement.

Sorry it doesn't answer the question on memtest, but I had to make the comment because you said the problem has be there since it was new.
I've reinstalled XP a few times and the problem still occurs.

So far I have bought new memory for it, but still using the current mem in there as the last time I ran memtest I dont think it found any errors??

I've just upgraded the PSU.

I'm wondering if it would be worth running the PC on 512mb of ram at a time to see if it is the ram. Failing that it will no doubt be the MB or CPU.
If it is I'm not sure whether to buy a new system or just upgrade the parts???

I've also used the PC with the video card removed and it still crashed. The thing that pees me off is, it is the same BSOD everytime!!! Just wish I could find the cause of it.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
I no longer use memory testers. They take too long and are unreliable. That is, if the ram fails,
then you definitely have a ram problem, but if passes, the ram may still be defective. I've gone through the latter scenario a few times.

Much easier and more effective to simply test the pc with one stick at a time.

BTW-What is the BSOD?

You can also check ram compatibility here:

www.crucial.com