• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Vertical lines in laptop display

Tony D

Free PC Help Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
I'm working on a laptop that has a flaky display. It has vertical lines in it but none of the graphics that should be there.

The video card is OK because there are no problems using an external monitor.

The display hinges were loose when it came in. I twisted the display and got it working and then tightened the hinges. That worked great yesterday. I could run the machine for an hour, turn it off for 30 minutes and then run it for another hour and it was working.

This morning, it's back to the vertical lines. I loosened the hinge screws, twisted the display to get it working and then tightened the screws.

Before I take the display apart to look for the bad connection, I wanted to see if anyone here has seen this problem.

Attachments

W

Wolfeymole

This has got to be a trapped or bad ribbon connector Tony if the output is fine from the external.

I hate laptops for this very reason.

Tony D

PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
I've wiggled the ribbon cable from the display to the system board - it's steady.
I've reseated the connector at the system board - no difference.

So it has to be in the display since I can get it working by twisting the display. Just wondering if it's something I can get to or if the display will need to be replaced.

Last edited:

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
The next step would be to take it apart and reseat all connections going to the lcd and inverter. Also look for any crimps in the wires.

W

Wolfeymole

If you can get it to show as normal try running it for a few hours as I'm wondering if it's a heat issue however small.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Oh, while you're in there Kelly, take a plastic pen with the guts removed, and poke around to see if you find the bad connection.

For such a test, just pull the front panel off so the lcd can remain connected.

PC Experience
Elite PC Guru
Operating System
That looks very similar to one I saw last year the laptop had been picked up by the screen and stretched the ribbons on the inside of the cable.
If it is that - new ribbon or a soldering iron needed.

Tony D

PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
Dalo - funny you should mention that. The user said her husband complained that she's rought on the computer and doesn't close it when she moves it. The display hinges were loose when it came in. I've never seen that.

I'll let you know if I find anything when I open the display.

PC Experience
Elite PC Guru
Operating System
If there are no physical looking cracks in the liquid you (they) may have got away with it and just need a new ribbon.
Yeah I am always weary when someone gives you a laptop with the hinges half hanging of as its normally a new screen needed :(

Tony D

PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
Thanks for that. I've pulled the bezzel and removed the display from the laptop. I've poked it all over and can't localize the problem. If I tap and/or twist the display, things change - I get lines, it goes back to normal, etc. I think the problem is internal to the display and that it needs to be replaced.

Tony D

PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
yes sir - today I examined the screen's circuit board under a magnifying glass and didn't see any bad solder joints. This display can be bought for under $40 (US). Thay may be the avenue I persue.