• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Very odd problem that no one seems to be able to answer

Vampyreholic

FPCH New Member
I have Windows XP Home on my computer.

It seems the problems started about a week ago, when I couldn't sign into Yahoo.com, or my Google Mail account. To start with, we figured that some sort of maintenance work was going on (as does quite a lot on these sites) so nothing more was thought of it.

Then a couple of days ago, my McAfee Security Center started playing up. It wouldn't do any updates. I would connect to the internet, McAfee would search for updates, and then tell me that none was available, which I found very strange as it had updated every day since I'd had it (I also had the previous version of McAfee which also updated on a daily basis).

So off I went onto www.mcafeehelp.com and spoke to one of their 'technicians' in a live one-to-one interactive chat, who told me to un-installed and then re-install McAfee onto my computer. This is when things really started to get bad.

I did this, but McAfee still wouldn't do updates, it wouldn't let me login in to tell it I had previously registered the product and it wouldn't let me re-register. I kept getting a blank screen. I tried leaving it, up to 2 hours at one point but nothing happened at all. And then, McAfee told me a trojan had been detected on my computer. I told McAfee to sort it out, but it decided to ignore me and allowed it through anyway.

I had to format my computer. I went to install my AOL installation stuff. On the disk I have, it has one installer, which installs and configures my Netgear Wireless Router, sets it up for a Wireless Connection, and installs the AOL software. During the router configuration, it has a process of lights. There are 5 of them that flash yellow in turn, and then go green when that particular process is complete. This went fine until it got to the very last light, which went red instead of green, and told me that no internet connection was available. However, my AOL software was already set up and installed in my computer and I was getting online with it no problem whatsoever.

I also recieved a problem installing AOL yesterday as I formatted my computer again because I was downloading Avast, but it wouldn't open. Re-formatting fixed that problem, so I assumed the Windows installation had missed a file or 2. Yesterday, AOL kept telling me that I had cancelled my installation, but I hadn't touched a thing. There wasn't even an option to cancel at that point.

Unfortunately, whenever I try to download Windows patches sent to me via BigFix, it cannot connect to the internet, I still can't access Yahoo or Google Mail. Internet Explorer is adamant that there is no internet connection available on my computer, yet I can still get online using my AOL software.

I've tried everything I can think of to fix this problem, but nothing seems to be working. I've even tried setting up an internet connection manually, but to no avail.

Any help would be greatfully appreciated.

Thanks

Jamey

FPCH Member
You have an interesting problem. I recommend that you perform a clean install of Windows and then only install the software necessary to get your computer online. Skip everything else until you can be sure your computer successfully stays online.

If you get the red light scenario again, contact AOL customer technical support. You will need to inform them that you have what essentially constitutes a "brand new computer" because it has a fresh install of Windows XP and that you are using the software as directed.

Vampyreholic

FPCH New Member
Jamey said:
You have an interesting problem. I recommend that you perform a clean install of Windows and then only install the software necessary to get your computer online. Skip everything else until you can be sure your computer successfully stays online.

If you get the red light scenario again, contact AOL customer technical support. You will need to inform them that you have what essentially constitutes a "brand new computer" because it has a fresh install of Windows XP and that you are using the software as directed.
Hi Jamey, thanks for you reply.

As it turns out, I have now fixed the problem, after aprox 3 weeks trying to work out what the flip was going on.

I actually did re-install Windows on my computer.. twice but it made no difference to the problem. The first time, I installed everything else first and then my internet stuff last, the second time, I installed my internet stuff first. Nothing made a difference. I also called AOL who told me 'if you can get online with AOL don't worry about it'. The fact that my computer was telling me that there's no internet connection and that I couldn't browse with IE, or get onto certain sites with AOL didn't seem to interest them.

I also called the PC World Performance Technical line, and they couldn't figure out what was going on. The only explanation they had was that something had been missed or corrupted during installation and they reccommended re-formatting my computer again.

Anyway, about a week ago, I thought of installing my mothers DSL modem into my computer just to see what happened, more curiosity than anything else, and as it turned out, I could do everything I couldn't before.

So, it seems the ever wonderful Netgear Wireless Router and is about 2 months old has been the problem all along. I have since removed the Router from my PC, and contacted AOL asking them for a replacement, which they did, in all fairness, but they sent me a DSL modem, rather than a Router.

Jamey

FPCH Member
Glad you solved the problem :) Unfortunately, ISPs are often shipping customers terribly poor quality modems or routers that barely do the job they have been designed for. Personally, I'd recommend anyone who is getting broadband, wireless or not, and who wants to share it with more than one machine, to invest in a decent router. Netgear are good, due to being a subordinate company of Cisco, the biggest networking manufacturer in the world.

Vampyreholic

FPCH New Member
Jamey said:
Glad you solved the problem :) Unfortunately, ISPs are often shipping customers terribly poor quality modems or routers that barely do the job they have been designed for. Personally, I'd recommend anyone who is getting broadband, wireless or not, and who wants to share it with more than one machine, to invest in a decent router. Netgear are good, due to being a subordinate company of Cisco, the biggest networking manufacturer in the world.
That's what I thought when AOL sent me the Netgear router, but at about 2 months old, you don't expect it to suddenly stop working correctly. I can only think of 2 reason why this would occur the way it has. Number 1, it's a faulty router to begin with, or Number 2, AOL have somehow stopped it from working correctly because I cancelled the account it was sent out to. I have been told that AOL configure all the modems they send out to their software, and the thought has crossed my mind that they have altered the configuration of the router so that it doesn't work correctly.

But I'm not a computer expert and I never claim to be one, but it's very odd the way it suddenly stopped working the way it should, even though AOL told me that my router was fine (they told me it was live and active).

maynardvdm

FPCH Long Term Member
This thread appears to be solved and is now closed

If you are the original poster of this thread and need it re-opened, then please PM (Private Message) an Administrator or Moderator