• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Vista fix - "Internet Explorer cannot download / from windows"

Santa

FPCH Member
Hi,
A few hours ago, I tried to open Help and Support on Windows Vista, but I received this error:

Internet Explorer cannot download / from windows.
Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later.
After a few minutes research, I found a fix for this error and thought I would share it with the rest of the Free PC Help community, as this is seemingly a very common problem.

To fix this error, you will first need to download and install a file extraction program such as WinRAR. Then you will need to download and extract (Right click | Extract here) the registry fix from here: http://www.chris123nt.com/guides/RTM_Fixes/Fix_Help_and_Support.zip which will leave you with a registry file and an instructions file. The registry file merges into the Windows Registry and "...re-associates the .xml file type with its default settings.", according to Kristian Kenney's blog.

Next double click the registry file, and Vista will prompt you to allow or disallow the merging of this registry file into the Windows registry; allow it (don't worry - it's safe!). Now open up Help and Support, which should now be fully functional :).

Hope this is helpful,
Liam.