• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

vista home premium media player?

macca1980

FPCH New Member
i have a dual boot..with windows xp pro and vista home premium.

My problem is windows media player...

any time i play a file in vista the video seems stutter and very kinda "pixely"

i have installed all the relevant codecs..

when i play same files in xp it is perfect...

is this a video card issue?? do i need to upgrade?? i just have a standard vga onboard...

is there any way to get vista running at the "best performance" i dont really care about nice looking themes of flipping tabs..just want to play video.

can media player be run under compatibility wizard?

danzil

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
what is the spec of your system,,,,,vista as you ae probably aware uses way more memory and cpu power then xp......have you install vista graphics drivers...are the codecs vista compatible.....have you tried a different player like vlc player http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
try that then post back wth more info about your pc.
regards
danzil

macca1980

FPCH New Member
my video card is a Via/S3 Unichrome IGP... the vlc player seemed to be better quality but still not smooth.

i have a 2.16 ghz amd athlon 704 mb ram

the codecs i installed are vista compatible...i dont know where to find vista drivers for video.

if i need to buy a new graphics card i will...but wanted to check all angles first.

danzil

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
well i would suggest buying another graphics card////s3 inichrome isnt really man enough for vista even if you shared 512mb of ram with it,it will still be stuttery....get a cheap vista card from www.eclipsecomputers.com or else where.....can you boro one,and have a check with that.
regards
danzil