• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

vista login !!!!!

slippyslot

FPCH Member
hi all, pls help. when i turn on my pc and type in my pass word i cannot get in...
nothing has been changed, i have been told that i need to reinstall vista? is this ture?
is there a easy way? im lost as i know not a jot about pc`s.

many thanks
slippy

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
Is this a LAPTOP or a DESKTOP PC?

There are tools to reset the password if you forget or lose it. It could be that you have the CAP LOCKS on or no longer do but did when you set a password?

Could be the keyboard has a sticky key - if a Desktop PC do you have access to another keyboard?

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi;
In XP this could usually be done quite easily via safe mode. Otherwise there were programs that could be run from bootable cd's although some cost money. I do see programs that are not free that claim to work on Vista but I've yet to see evidence.

Vista was designed to be more secure. The way it handles logon passwords is one way. A default Administrator Account in safe mode does not exist (at least in Basic or Home Premium) so you can't change or remove passwords from there. Unless you're running Ultimate you can't even enable the Super Admin account if you could get into windows.

To the best of my knowledge if you are using Home Premium and didn't create a password reset disk then your best hope is if you have a second account set up as admin.

Otherwise you could try programs that worked on XP that claim to work on Vista. I don't know if they will so I won't offer advice or links to them.

Wait for more input from others but you might be out of luck as Vista was designed to be more secure whether we like it or not.

RandyL

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
Well I don't think that is the issue myself and if it is then there is much faster and easier software.

That is used to actually crack and find the real password. That can take anywhere from seconds to hours to days or weeks to never without rainbow tables to assist and the good rainbow tables are not free. I would leave this in the realm of IT Support / Forensics / Legal Authorities that need the actual password and not to just change it.

Just booting to CD and changing the password is much faster and easier. There are even a couple of Linux versions but they're about a 50/50 hit miss on working from my experience with them. I would try the Linux and if it didn't work I'd buy one of the proven Windows versions out there.

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
I'm with AdvancedSetup on this one.

Obtaining a password versus resetting it are two different things.
I think it's best left to the pros lest it be used for the wrong purpose.

Besides, even though I've heard of some of these free programs I haven't tested them.

The issue does appear to be different as stated above too.

Keep up the good work people;
RandyL