• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

vredir.vxd ME

wardyboyo

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Windows 7- Home Premium
my friend is having a problem with his me machine, i went to look at it and he said ages ago he had a virus or something..and it went kaput..
and now when its turned on it says the file vredir.vxd(either that or vredir.vmx or something along them lines)in the SYSTEM.INI file may be damaged and may be needed by the system..

and then reboots or goes to a screen with E_ on and nothing else and turns black and stays there forever..

help is needed as there are files that are desperatley needed on the HDD

Bluesplayer.

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows XP - Professional
Hi do they have a Win ME boot disk?
Check that the Bios is set to boot from the boot disk first.
Start with the boot disk in the the drive.
At the A: prompt Type
SYS C:

It should say files have been transfered.
Remove floppy disk.
Restart.

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Edit.
If no luck..the virus may well have damaged some of the system files and a reinstall would be the way to go.

Last edited:

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
With a boot disk you can go in and edit the WIN.INI or SYSTEM.INI and look for that file entry and then see if you can find it on the system.

Sound like it is needed if it causes a reboot, and it could be the path is wrong now and needs fixing.