• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Want to buy a laptop with Win8 or 8,1 Any advice please?

PEV

Free PC Help Contributor
PC Experience
Some Experience
Hi everybody.
Didn't know where else to post this so hope is appropriate.
My sons old Apple laptop has finally died and he's looking to buy another but not Apple.
He's going to have about £300 - £400 to spend. Can anyone suggest a good buy. It will be a 'home laptop'- not used for business.
I know years ago some of you suggested a good reconditioned laptop supplier but of course new would be prefered to used.
Hope you can help!
Ray

RustyKnight

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Very Experienced
At risk of being thumped can I suggest you look at Chromebooks as well :rolleyes:

I was a bit worried about Chromebooks because of the cloud computing system but its much better than I expected.
The only thing my Acer isn't very good at is photo work because the image editing software is a bit limited.

Google are supposed to be bring in Android apps to new Chromebooks so that will provide much more software choices.

The only downside is the storage, I have a 64Gb SSD in mine. Fortunately, when an SD card is inserted it doesn't stick out and get in the way so at the moment I have a 64GB SD card which I use for my files.

PEV

Free PC Help Contributor
PC Experience
Some Experience
Thanks very much for your information.
Ray

Top Bottom