• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

WD external HD problem

tony loly

FPCH New Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
I have a Western Digital My Password Ultra external drive. It is on, lit, shows in this pc but shows as empty whereas I know it has over 500gb of pics & video on it. I have not deleted anything from it.
Help please, big concern as you can imagine.

KenB

Administrator
Hi Tony and welcome to FpcH

Under no circumstances format this drive - you will lose everything.

Connect the external drive.
Go to This PC and right click on the drive > then click on Properties.
Does the drive show your used space in the Capacity ?

Type cmd in the Search Box then right click on "Command Prompt" that shows left of screen.
Select "Run as Administrator"
[ if you get a Windows prompt select "Yes" ]

Type in ........ dir *.* y: /p [ instead of y: put in your drive letter for the external drive - E: for example ]
There is a space after dir and a space after *.* and a space after your directory letter
The /p pauses each screen - press any key to continue.

After you hit Enter you should get a list of all files [ image / video files ] on the external drive.
Do You?

If not - do you get any message ?

Last edited:

KenB

Administrator
Tony,
It really would save a lot of time, effort and doubling up if you had told me that you are getting assistance at CHF.

Last edited:

KenB

Administrator
I see that you have recovered your files [ CHF ] :)
When you finally re-name them make a couple of backups - just in case :)

tony loly

FPCH New Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
So sorry not to have got back to you sooner, it has all been such a worry. I had no intention of wasting your time but as I got no quick response I went elsewhere & then forgot.
Really, really sorry.

Top Bottom