• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Weird router? problem.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
One of business customers has three computers wired to his router. He brought another one in from home and hooked it up to the router, but neither IE or FF would open any sites. I checked it out and did all the normal troubleshooting to no avail. I can repair a valid IP, and can ping Yahoo. Now the crazy thing is, the computer is fine and it goes online (with the same ISP) both at the customer's house, as well as my shop.

What the heck is going on?

Tony D

Free PC Help Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
Maybe the router is blocking a port? But if so, why would it allow some machines to connect and not others. Do the working computers use a Proxy?

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Hi Kelly.

But if it was blocking a port, I wouldn't be be able to ping out.

No proxy.

I'm going back there tomorrow, and I'll post the results.

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
Not necessarily true. It could be blocking port 80 which IE/FF use.

If you can try unplugging the router from the wall for like a minute and then plug it back in. Then try accessing the Internet again, via browser and maybe an FTP from command line or application.

What MFG Make/Model of router is it?

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Hi Ron.

It's a Linksys and I've already tried unplugging the router.

This computer can get online at the customer's house as well as my shop...just not at his car repair shop which has three other computers that are online. Yet at his shop I can rr a vaild ip and ping out.

I'm going back there tomorrow, but I did notice something on this mobo. It has 2 network controllers (two RJ45 connections). One of which was not installed. I installed it and can get online on both those connections.

Tony D

PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
When you go back, don't forget to look at the proxy settings of the other machines. I don't know much about this, but it's worth a look.

Of course, as I'm sure you're aware, you can hold the reset button on that router for about 5 seconds and it will reset to default settings. Don't know what that will screw up so be aware.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
I did a hard reset and checked for proxies the first time I was there.

Anyway, I just returned from the site. I hooked up the computer and the exact same thing occurred. I did another hard reset to the router and the computer opened web pages for about 5 seconds and that was it. I replaced the router and all is fine now.

I still don't get it though. How is it possible that a router would issue a valid ip, allow pings, but NOT allow any pages to open?

Tony D

PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
I don't get it either. I have seen where a router get accustomed to the computers that it's been connecting. Then when you introduce a new computer, it won't give it an IP. But your case is different.

Rusty

Banned FPCH Member
I don't get it either. I have seen where a router get accustomed to the computers that it's been connecting. Then when you introduce a new computer, it won't give it an IP. But your case is different.
you check TCP/IP settings and no conflicting IPs
like I had a problem two pcs were trying to be
The bottom two casn be both the same but the top one has to be different like 10.1.1.17