• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

What recovery media do i need

shrimply

FPCH Long Term Member
PC Experience
Beginner
Yet another question. Trying to prevent myself against problems and as usual getting bogged down in technical jargon.

I've been having great difficulties creating the recovery disks for my advent laptop, apparently these disks have already been created (they haven't). It does have a recovery partition but my understanding is that I should have the disks too. I can order them from the tech guys for about £15 but to be honest I'm not happy paying that for disks that should in my view be shipped with the laptop. The Tech Guys were no help on the phone either, because apparently I have created the disks and must have forgotten about it.

I have also just made a vista bootable disk online, apparently this is legal but feel free to lock this thread if you think otherwise.

Since I can repair vista using the installation disk do I need other recovery media. You are supposed to be able to make vista recovery disks with SP1 but that doesn't seem to work and anyway I think its the same thing thats on the installation disk.

Hope all that nonsense made some sense.

Tony D

Free PC Help Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
I have had good luck with Tosiba and IBM. In two instances, the procedure to create the restore CD/DVD didn't work for whatever reason. In both cases, I contacted the manufacturer and they sent out the restore disks - free of any charges.

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
I would pay for them if you can't convince them otherwise. The price is cheap compared to not having an operating system. A repair doesn't always work and if the hard drive on my desktop needs replaced that partition or what I assume is the recovery console disk won't do a thing. I even went so far as to created the DVD's and then ordered a set. Can't be too carefull.

shrimply

FPCH Long Term Member
PC Experience
Beginner
Thanks for the advice, see this is where I'm a bit confused, lol. So I'll explain my view and you can correct it.

Now I have a vista DVD ( which amazingly works). It has the recovery option, so i can repair vista from disk if the recovery partition won't work, one of the disks i would have created would of been the recovery thing on this disk.

The only benefit of getting the recovery disks from advent is being able to reset it to factory settings.

If this is the case i have no real reason why I'd reset it to factory settings, I intend to get a external hard drive and will have a clone on there, plus all my important files on top of that. So reinstalling vista seems the most sensible solution if anything goes wrong.

However, i imagine that I've got something wrong and will definitely order the disks if that's your advice.

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
If you have the full Vista DVD's and not just the Vista Recovery Console CD or DVD then you could always just use that to re-install Vista. Of course any bundled software would not be re-installed. This includes propriatary software. Also the option to recover from the partition would not be there.

If Vista and your files are backed up by cloning software then in theory you should be OK as long as your clone is OK.

Does that help any? If not let us know.

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
I really wish the MFG would stop the Recovery option on the same HD disk. Most of the time if you need to recover it's because of a bad HD anyways which makes the recovery IMPOSSIBLE

Just GIVE ME THE CD please.

I would recommend obtaining the Vista installation media if at all possible. I would also use one of the CLONING tools to an external USB drive. Then no matter what happens Virus/Malware/Hardware failure you can always restore once the system hardware is functional.

shrimply

FPCH Long Term Member
PC Experience
Beginner
Thanks to both of you, as I said I have created a installation disk, which I was very happy with. Couldn't believe my luck when I found that it was available online.

RandyL, thats pretty much exactly what I was confused about. Thanks for clearing it up in simple terms.

Advanced set-up I think thats what I intend to do, it seems to be to be much more reliable than any other options.

Nothing that came bundled with the laptop had any worth, the only problem I can possibly see is getting the drivers installed, but that can't be that difficult can it, I think I have the needed divers on a CD ( the only CD) I got from advent.

Thanks again to everyone.

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
Getting drivers right now may not be too difficult, but try finding them in a couple years, not always so easy especially if MS releases yet another OS

Having a CD that can restore to exactly the way it is right now from a CLONE is the fastest easiest option to have. I just like to have the install media in case I want to rebuild a different way. In that case I suggest you download all needed drivers and keep them on your USB drive as well, that's what I do anyways.

Cheers.

shrimply

FPCH Long Term Member
PC Experience
Beginner
Thanks, with the risk of sounding daft, is there a way of finding out what drivers I need, probably something I should know.

As I said I have got a advent disk with Driver and Utility written on it but I'm not sure if this has what I would need on it.

Tony D

Free PC Help Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
The drivers you need depend on 1) the hardware and 2) the operating system.

Knowing what hardware you have, go to the maunfacture's site and search for the drivers for your operating system.

If you don't know what hardware you have, let us know and we can recommend applications that will identify the hardware installed in your computer.

shrimply

FPCH Long Term Member
PC Experience
Beginner
Thanks Kelly, I really have no idea what I'm doing here so sorry.

Firstly this is a list of drivers that i've got on disk, but I have no idea if these are all of what I need, some of what I need, or completely unimportant ones.

If I need others then i'd be grateful if you pointed me in direction of the hardware identifying software.

W

Wolfeymole

Thanks, with the risk of sounding daft, is there a way of finding out what drivers I need, probably something I should know.

As I said I have got a advent disk with Driver and Utility written on it but I'm not sure if this has what I would need on it.
Install them all Shrimpley

Here's what my daughter had the other day when I pulled all that trash off it but luckily didn't need.
Vista OEM Reinstall disk
Dell system drivers for all the hardware on that pc.

This was over and above a recovery partition on the hard drive.

shrimply

FPCH Long Term Member
PC Experience
Beginner
Thanks Wolfey, but I'm pretty sure these are just the drivers, and they were all pre installed anyway. I really am wishing more and more that I'd bought from a more reputable place, like dell.

What I can't understand is why they'd provided drivers that you will never need since you have no way of reinstalling the OS.

I've been looking at the list of free cloning programs on here and now my head hurts, obviously I'd prefer not to pay for software but going through the list of free cloners i really wouldn't know which to use or how. It appears XXclone makes a complete working copy of your drive, which i thought couldn't be done, and all the others do different things,lol. I'd just have no idea what to use.

Thanks for all the help everyone, it really is appreciated.