• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

when i open an attachment from my email, it does not open correctly

Fle2698

FPCH New Member
Hi, could anyone help, when i open an attachment from an email or website, it does not open correctly, i.e not in word and if it does open, the typing does not make any sense
it is aload of nonsense on there, please please help, i need to download an application form thank you

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi Fle;
We need to know what the file type of the attachment is.
Right click it and save to a location.
Right click the saved file and choose properties.
Can you determine the file type extension from there?

Once we know the type of file we might need to figure out if you have the ability to open it or convert it so you can see its contents.

RandyL

Fle2698

FPCH New Member
Hi

it's a microsoft word document, also there is a form i need from a website, when i open it, it asks me about encoding?? and what ever i pick to open it, it stills opens up into nonsense.

thanks

marie

W

Wolfeymole

Hi Marie

If you try to open any file and you do not have the software to support that file then you will get an icon like this.

To open the file as I say you will have to have the corresponding software.
This appears to be a Microsoft Word Document so if you do not have Word installed then look here?

Tony D

Free PC Help Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
Sound like maybe a problem with the mail encoding. Sorry, but I don't know what to do about it. If it's an email from someone on Mac or Unix, ask them to send the attachment in MIME encoding. Just a thought.

Fle2698

FPCH New Member
Hi, i've managed to sort my email problem out but i'm still having trouble opening an application form from the internet it's from Fly Monarh airlines, it askes to open an PDF File (I click that), it asks to either save or open, (i press open), then windows opens up, and asks me to convert file, then gives me a list of options such as, Text only, MS DOS Text, HTML, and more, I've tried all of them but the application form opens up to lots a nonsense, I Hope you can help, as the the computer might have to die anytime soon.

Thank you

Marie

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi Fle;
As this is a new unrelated question you should start a new thread. This would help your question to be more readily seen and solved. Please do so and I will respond there with the most likely solution which is you need a PDF reader. More to follow.

RandyL

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced