• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Which is the best laptop for gaming?

markl5000

FPCH New Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Basic
I have roughly £500 to spend and I've narrowed it down to these 2... (if u guys know of something better please let me know!!! =D)

Dell Studio 15
Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Processor T4200 (2.0GHz, 800MHz, 1MB cache)
15.4" Widescreen WXGA+ WLED (1440x900) TFT Display with TrueLife™
4096MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x2048]
160GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive
256MB ATI Mobility RADEON HD 3450
£509.00

Mesh ASUS X59GL
15.4" WXGA TFT with ColourShine (1280x800)
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5800 Dual Core Processor (2.00GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB
NVIDIA GeForce 8200M
3GB DDR2 667MHz Memory (1x1GB + 1x2GB)
250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (NB)
£ 499.00

they are kind of similar, maybe it just comes down graphics card?

an yeah I know laptops can be sucky for gaming, but its not for anything hardcore. (oblivion is probably the highest req game I have, im not after highest detail, just smooth gameplay that looks good.)

finally ive heard that a better processor = better gaming laptop. then i've heard that graphics cards are what matters.... please can anyone clarify this?

thanks people love you all <3

Match

Free PC Help Tech Member
Hi Mark

Just to let you know that were not ignoring you, Its just that Dalo is the best man to answer your question,

he should be around on Monday, if you need a reply sooner then please let us know and we will see what we can do

Thanks for your patience.

markl5000

FPCH New Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
yeh that would be awesome, monday is fine. I have no clue =)

as additional info, the games i wanna play is oblivion and guildwars. rest of the time ill be on the internet/itunes (if that helps?)

mark

Dalo Harkin

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Elite PC Guru
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Hi Mark -

GPU is what will make the games look better and be smoother looking.

The GPU on the DELL the 3450 will blow the 8200M out of the water!

Given that the DELL would be the best for gaming.

NOTE it does not have as much storage, so you may need an external at some point ;)

markl5000

FPCH New Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
thanks so much dude - huge help, ill order one tonight...

i was worried as people told me that the asus processor was so good the graphics card didnt really matter... lol glad u cleared that up for me =D tyvm

mark!

Dalo Harkin

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Elite PC Guru
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
For most games its RAW GPU power that counts, Guild Wars is a very low requirement game (funnily enough I am Dalo Harkin on there :D feel free to add me)
the fact that the DELL is also widescreen will make the games look much better as its a higher res, which will be complemented by the GPU, have fun and I may see you around GW ;)