• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Which one? :S

JamieNevins

FPCH Member
Right.. I've got windows xp media centre edition, and was maybe thinking about upgrading to windows vista.

Will i be able to use home basic with my media centre edition or will i need to get the home premium in order to upgrade it..?

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced

JamieNevins

FPCH Member
Yeah I've done that and my computer is okay to run vista.
So basically I can upgrade but i wont be able to use media centre? (Never do anyways)
And i wont lose any files? Just have to load my applications on again?

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi Jamie;
The first link above if you scroll down explains it. See "Clean Install". You will have to backup your data. You could use Windows Easy Transfer to do this. Keep in mind that some software and hardware may not run on Vista even if it did on XP.

RandyL

C

CrazyComputerMan

What about Upgrade? Keeps file and thing, Like i brought Vista Upgrade but got problem cause My PC crash down and do a reinstall of XP then upgrade to vista and vista reject my product key which was appear in DVD-Box...

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
I'm not sure what your saying CrazyComputerMan;
Whether it's an originall install or upgrade Key and Validation issues arise for a variety of issues. Most always explainable or resolved.

I can't say what your issues were or how you resolved them. You didn't supply enough information.

Either way I fail to see how this post is relevant to the original posters query. I thought I answered it clearly and supplied the relevant links.

Perhaps you can clearly explain what it is I may have missed.
Thanks;
RandyL

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
Hi JamieNevins,

Just to add a little bit to the discussion.

I would not expect any real issues, but just because the Vista Advisor says your computer can run Vista does not mean it can or will run 100% the same as it is on XP right now.

1. Make sure ALL your software is compatible with Vista (most apps will run on Vista even if not specifically written for it)

2. Make sure you backup all your user data (files you've created)

3. Make sure you have a Vista compatible network card driver burned to a CD BEFORE attempting an upgrade / re-install

4. You should try to have all the hardware drivers that you may need for Vista burned to a CD before starting. Though Vista may find all of them on it's own, it may not as well. Most (except the network card) are not that big of an issue as they can be located and installed later (as long as there is a Vista version available)

5. AntiVirus software must be Vista compatible or you will have issues with it.

Though you may want to ask yourself why you're wanting Vista - i.e. is there a specific feature or application that you want to run that XP is not working or does not have a version for? If the only reason is because of all the hype of the marketing media then you may want to just stay with XP for now and go with Vista when you next buy or build another computer.

Just some thoughts and ideas to think of before proceeding.

Good luck.