• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Which Ram is best

gavb

FPCH New Member
Hi
Im new to the forum and Pcs. I have an old PC which I wish to increase the Ram.

After an online check,I have a Gigabyte 7VT600 motherboard. I want to increase my RAM to 1gb. I currently have 256mb.

It says I can only use DDR SDRAM then the checker said that I could use PC2700 PC3200 AND PC4000.

My questions are
whats the difference in numbers mean?

is it cheaper to buy a 1gb stick or buy 2 512mb?

what is the average price as I dont want to pay over the odds?

Many thanks

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Hello Gavb.

The number difference equates to the speed of the ram. Would you notice this speed difference? Almost certainly not.

It's normally better to go with two sticks of ram in case one of them fails.

I can't help you with pricing though, as I'm in a different country.

gavb

FPCH New Member
Hi

Thanks for the reply.

Wolfeymole, the link you provided says that its a DDR2 type stick can this be used as the scan of my motherboard said to use only DDR types.

Also the wikipedia article said something about DDR2 having latency issues when used on motherboards that accept DDR????

Is this just computer jargon that will have little effect on the performance of my PC.

If the DDR2 can be used do I have to adjust any settings on my PC after I have installed the memory?

Still a bit confused to be honest.

Thanks again for your help