• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

why do I need to plug in headphones to get external sound?

MarcO

FPCH New Member
hi, I'm new, and I'm clueless.

In order to get sound through the external speakers, I need to plug a set of headphones into the jack at the front of the PC unit. Is this a common problem? And what might I look into doing about it?

things is, the connection seems loose, so I need to jiggle the hp jack for ages before it kind of falls delicately into place. And I mean delicately.

Any help would be appreciated. Please treat me like a alien who just stepped off a spaceship and hasn't a clue about a PC other than how to turn it on and get on the internet.

When I build a pc in a case that has front headphone connections, I have to remove some jumpers from a header on the board and plug a cable in from the front headphone sockets. When you plug your headphones in a switch is activated in the socket that tells the motherboard not to send sound out the rear speaker socket. The jumpers on the board make sure that if the case has no front headphone socket the sound always comes out the back. It sounds like the socket on the front is broken or incorectly pluged into the motherboard. Either way if you are not happy going inside your pc take it in for repair. If you know your EXACT motherboard model I may be able to help.

Dave