• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Wi-fi repeater/router/AP doesn't seem to work.

joddle

Free PC Help Contributor
PC Experience
Sorry to butt in at the end but I had the same type of issue with a wifi repeater(Netgear) in our rather rambling house. In the end after loads of attempts to get it working properly gave up. Instead I am now using a powerline system (TPLINK AV500 second hand from Fleabay) system in my house where the furthest room is nowhere like in range of the normal wi-fi. Using one input module and two wifi modules (one in the lounge and one in the furthest room) I now have very fast internet throughout the house and all for less that £60 (new price would be much more I guess) Its not the fastest powerline available but is reliable and gives me a constant 35-40mbps up and down at the furthest point. In addition the wifi modules have two ethernet ports so I can connect the TV to it and still have a lan socket spare as well as the wifi! It has been so good I have now installed the same system in my mum's house and also in a friend's house and we are all really pleased with the results. Its a doddle to set up and easy to maintain. I would never now go back to a repeater or extender system!

madon37s

Free PC Help Contributor
PC Experience
Some Experience
Hi,

I have just had a look for the TPLINK stuff you suggested and there seems to be a lot of items on ebay but I cannot see any 'input modules' listed, is it possible for you to put a link in a reply to the input module and wifi modules please so I know what I'm looking at properly as I don't want to buy the wrong thing? there does seem to be some starter kits too but I'm not sure if that is what I am after..... I really don't know a lot about these type of things I'm afraid.

Many thanks.

joddle

Free PC Help Contributor
PC Experience
Hi - the starter kits have two modules - one simply looks like a plug with an ethrnet port and the other a wifi unit with two ethernet ports. The smaller one is the input unit. First you have to ensure the units are paired - i.e. talking to each other - that is a simple 30 second thing to do if they are not already paired. You then simply plug the smaller unit into the mains near your router and attach it to your router with an ethernet cable. The wifi unit can then be anywhere else in the house wher ther is a mains socket. The kit comes with a cd and a little utility so you can change the name of the network or simply clone your existing one (pretty neat that!) . Later you can add more wifi or ethernet only units to expand the network. In our house we have one unit inputting then two units with WI fi and another as a port for a non wifi pc in another room - It all works perfectly. Full instructions and a video here Download for TL-WPA4220 KIT | TP-Link United Kingdom
If you have any issues you can PM me.

Last edited:

joddle

Free PC Help Contributor
PC Experience
There are several option for adapters:
a) simply plug in unit with one lanport
b) as above with through plug so you can use the socket for something else as well
c) as a) but wtith two lan sockets
d) as b) but with 2 lan sockets
e) wifi unit which also has 2 lan sockets

All of these are interconnectable and you can use any as the input unit and any as an output device.
Tried to attach the manual but its too big so pm me if you want me to email a copy if you wish.

This is the basic kit TP-Link TL-WPA4220KIT AV500 300Mbps WiFi Powerline Extender Starter Kit A 6935364032272 | eBay

Last edited:

KenB

Administrator
I have the same kit as joddle - it works well. :)
Now and again it drops out and I have to re-boot it but this is no problem.

The e-bay seller quotes ,,,,,,
"......... Item is new and unused with possible box damaged/ box replaced with item seal removed ....."
You may want to look elsewhere for the same product if not happy with the above statement.

joddle

Free PC Help Contributor
PC Experience
I have never had any of my three systems "drop out" but have had some slowing occasionally on one of them - i.e. the wifi does slows a bit. When that happens a re-boot seems to do the trick. Its only once or twice a year so not really an issue at all. I have more problems with my router than that :)

madon37s

Free PC Help Contributor
PC Experience
Some Experience
Thanks Joddle (y). Will these adapters enable me to connect the ethernet cable that runs into the TV in the conservatory (from the router of course) into the adapter and then the adapter connects to the TV?

Are there any more powerful TP-link devices at all or are they all 300mbs?

Thanks for all your help so far.

Last edited:

joddle

Free PC Help Contributor
PC Experience
I have not looked at anything more powerful or faster as the AV500 series is plenty fast enough for watching Netflix and other video material. I get at least 30 meg around any part of the house and in some parts nearer 50! which is a fast as many people have from a fibre broadband connection!!!

To help answer your connectivity question, my own system is as follows and should give you the info you need

I have one input module connected from my router by cable in a room downstairs at the front of the house.

In my lounge I have a wifi unit which is connected by lan cable to the TV and to the PS3. As well as the cable connections the wifi in the lounge is really strong and persists through most of the rest of the downstairs of the building.

Upstairs I have another wifi unit which is sometimes used to connect a laptop by cable but more normally is used for wifi for phones and tablets and a laptop. It also connects by wifi to a Roku streamer for the kids to watch Netflix in their room.

In addition I have another simple unit in one bedroom to connect a non wi-fi PC by cable.

The distances involved are about 9 metres from the router to the lounge wifi unit and the actual mains cable distance is around 15m. The router wifi does not penetrate there as there are two very thick stone walls between the room where the router is and the lounge.

The distance to the upstairs wifi unit is around 22 metres from the router. However the mains cable run is a lot longer as it goes via the fuseboard then up through the attic area first.

Despite the long runs the signal is really good throughout the house mentioned earlier - and many times better in terms of speed and signal strength than I got with a wifi extender unit. We often have two sessions of Netflix running at the same time over the TP link system without any issues.

Last edited:

joddle

Free PC Help Contributor
PC Experience
This is a pretty good idea of how to set it up - ignor the American fittings the principle is the same

1567885678460.png

joddle

Free PC Help Contributor
PC Experience
This might be better for you as it is exactly what I have less the phones and tablets which can connect to any of the wifi links

1567943049386.png

madon37s

Free PC Help Contributor
PC Experience
Some Experience
Hi Joddle,

Many thanks for the diagrams I really appreciate it. May I ask is this kit below ok to use?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TP-LINK-TL-WPA4220-KIT-AV500-2-Port-WiFi-Powerline-Extender-like-ñew/401869307845?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Sorry for this but I have just one more question if I may, Does the input module have to be in the same room as the router? or, does it not matter so long as the input module is connected to the router via an ethernet cable? I ask because I have an ethernet cable running from my router in our spare bedroom to the conservatory at the back of the house and was wondering if that would still work ok? I'm really sorry to be a pain :).

joddle

Free PC Help Contributor
PC Experience
That is the basic kit I used - I simply added more to it later - it should not matter too much about a longer lead from the router to the first tp-link within reason - its really the same as if it is going direct to a pc - but any slowing of the signal due to lead lenght (which should be very small unless the lead is excessive or poor quality) will be reflected in the whole of the new network. I have my router connected by a 2M lead to the tp-link and its fine. However if possible I would keep the first tplink unit close to the router and connect with short lead to maintain the best possible speed for the rest of the network. You can if you want to, still use the existing cable to try it and see - you dont have to then keep it connected if a closer connection works better!

Last edited:

madon37s

Free PC Help Contributor
PC Experience
Some Experience
I have now received my TP-Link starter kit and I have connected it all up as per instructions although I did have a bit of trouble doing it as I wasn't really sure if what I was doing was the right way if that makes sense. I used the WPS button to link the router to the input module and then paired (i think I did anyway) the input module to the wifi extender and I do think it's working ok now.

Can I ask, if I buy another wifi extender does it have to be paired with the input module as well or is that not possible?

joddle

Free PC Help Contributor
PC Experience
Pairing addition units is really easy

Step 1 Press and hold the Pair button on your new Powerline adapter for 1 second.

Step 2 Press and hold the Pair button on one of the existing Powerline adapters for one second . (This step must be taken within 120 seconds after step 1 is finished.)

Step 3 Wait for about 60 seconds while your Powerline adapters are trying to connect. The Power LED on Powerline adapters will stop flashing and become solid light when the connection is made successfully.

joddle

Free PC Help Contributor
PC Experience
See this video also

I should also mention that the little utility supplied on the cd is really useful and gives great control over the wireless adapter - you can change passwords, the ssid, force reboots and set it up exactly as you want - In our house we make the ssid different for each wifi unit from the router and also use a different password. This means we know exactly which wifi network we are using when a device connects up.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCD_K1_rtsk

Last edited:
Top Bottom