• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Will old keyboard work with new pc

gdgirling

FPCH New Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Windows 7- Home Premium
I recently bought a laptop to replace a desktop and wanted to connect my old keyboard and mouse to the laptop so I can use it like a desktop from time to time. The keyboard has a PS/2 connector so I bought a PS/2 to USB converter, I've plugged that into the laptop but the keyboard won't work, it's clearly receiving power as the number lock key is lit up but none of the other keys respond, has anyone any ideas?

DSTM

FPCH Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Hi gdgirling. Welcome to FPCH.
My guess you would have to disable the Laptop Keyboard,before the external Keyboard would work.

PseFrank

FPCH Long Term Member
Not wanting to contradict DSTM, but you may find that it's the PS/2 to USB converter that is causing your problem.
A USB plug and play keyboard should work straight out of the box. I'd suggest that you borrow a USB keyboard from a friend or neighbour and just plug it into a USB port on the laptop.

If it works straight away...you have your answer. Then go out and buy a cheap new keyboard.