• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Win 7 shared folder

HRE Paul

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
I have 2 win 7 Pro machines , which up to a couple of months ago worked fine. A restart of one of the machines ( PC1 ) resulted in not being able to see a shared folder on (PC 2), despite looking on several forums and several guaranteed fixit ideas it still fails to see it .
You can ping it from the machine, you can also share ( PC 2) with a different Pc , also on win 7. Both are on the same network , permissions have been given to all. Has anyone else had this issue ?

KenB

Administrator
Hi,

Have you tried a system restore of PC1 to a date when you know that the machine could access the shared folder ?
Assuming a suitable restore date is available.

If so - all installed software and updates after the chosen date will be lost.
Saved data, photos etc. will be fine.
[ Suggest backing these up - just in case ]

HRE Paul

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Hi Ken , unfortunately there is no restore point on that Pc which is infuriating to say the least as I believe that would have resolved it

Thank you however for the suggestion

KenB

Administrator
A restart of one of the machines ( PC1 ) resulted in not being able to see a shared folder on (PC 2)
Can PC1 see any other shared files / folders or is it just this one specific folder causing the problem?

HRE Paul

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
I admit I have not tried sharing with any other folders on the other PC , I will do so today and let you know , as I said I can share with other computers fine on it

HRE Paul

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Hi Ken , it’s the shared d drive on the PC 2 that is causing the issue ( it has a C and a D drive on the machine ) the D drive has audio on it . It will not allow you access to it at all, and it won’t allow you toaccessshared folders either .sorryfor the delay but been away .

KenB

Administrator
Hi - sorry for more questions ............... can you access shared folders on C: on the machine ?