• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Win 98 to xp

walt

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Operating System
Windows XP - Home Edition
I am trying to install windows xp, I did have windows 98 but want to update. I have a HP desk top computer, I know it is a bit old. Do I need different startup stuff to get xp to install?
Walt

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
If you are trying to install XP on a computer that originally had 98 stop.
Even if you could get it to install it will never work right.
You will not have the computer specs needed. Processor, RAM, Hard drive etc.

Ignore Microsofts recomendations. You'll need a whole lot more unless all you want to do is get to the desktop let alone the updates.

Stay with 98 or buy a new system.

walt

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Operating System
Windows XP - Home Edition
I thank you very much, as this will save me a whole lot of trouble and time. I will stay with windows 98, and just put up with it being an out of date system.
Walt

W

Wolfeymole

Well this really depends on the hardware you have Walt.
I have run XP on a 266mhz cpu with 128mb of ram before today, mind you it was like a snail in a pot of glue.
If you have a PIII or similar with at least 128mb and better then XP will run ok, just don't try to do any system intensive activities like gaming or graphics work.