• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

windows 98 upgrade gone awry

ultrapurl

FPCH New Member
hi. my neighbor has an old pc that was running windows 98, until this morning, when he underwent the process of wiping his hard drive. now his drive is clean, maybe formatted and maybe not, and he can't get either his xp install disk or his windows 98 startup disk to read, and he's dead in the water. i'm not sure what he did, other than the fact that he did use fdisk. restarting the computer gets an empty screen with a cursor. i haven't been much help; maybe someone here will help me.

thanks!
ultra

W

Wolfeymole

First of all Ultrapurl please get back to us with what processor, for example a Pentium 3, you have in the PC and the amount of memory it has.
It may well be that the computer does not have the capabilities to run XP.

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
Well, an old post... but for the sake of those that may come along later and read this and have a similar issue.

Boot with either your Windows 98 boot disk and run FDISK to check and create a partiton, then reboot and run FORMAT C: /S
or boot from your XP CD and it has the ability to remove or create partitions and format them.

Depends on what OS you want to install. XP will attempt to create an NTFS partition by default and if you want to use Windows 98 it won't be able to install or read it.