• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

windows explorer freezes (vista premium edition)

hi

i have installed a lite-on dvdrw lh-20a1h dvd drive but when i insert a cd it does not auto play it and when i try and open it in wndows explorer windows explorer freezes and restarts.

any help will be greatly apprecited

regards
Ray

i will say aswell that i had this set up previously but due to a curruption i had to reboot my entire system and since the reboot the above problems has occured

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Did you change any jumper settings or anything like that on the drive?

Uninstall the drive from Device Manager, reboot and the drive will be installed again. See how that works out.

For autoplay, right click on the drive, choose properties and put a check in the autoplay option.

hi thanx for your help

no i haven't changed the jumper settings but have removed another drive i had (i originally had 2 now i only have the lite on)

i have tried uninstalling the drive as you have suggested but it didnt work

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Try the drive on a different connector on the ribbon cable. and jump it as Cable Select (CS). Also check the pins on the drive's ide connector to make sure no pins are bent.

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi People;
I believe in Vista you have to set your auto play choices from the control panel.
Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Autoplay.
If Control Panel is in classic view just open AutoPlay.

Of course that won't help if you can't use the drive. There is a firmware update for your drive but I don't know if that will help.
http://us.liteonit.com/us/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=75

RandyL

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Randy,

I forgot it was Vista.

Ray,

Thanks for the update. What solved it?

i took out my second hard drive and connected my drive to the connector on my ide cable that the hdd was connected to