• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Windows freezing after start up

Hi All,

I'm new to forum and I hope someone can help me with the issue that I have with my aspire 3000 laptop as it is driving me CRAZY!!!

I switched on my laptop and I noticed that my cursor was acting weird as it was constantly freezing and the response from the touch pad was poor. When I got onto my desktop my anti virus(AVG anti virus free edition) flagged up that the resident shield was disabled and needed urgent attention. From this point my whole laptop froze and I could only switch it off by disconnecting it from the mains and removing the battery as the start menu failed to respond and I was getting no response from the power button. I have to do this everytime if i want to shutdown or reboot

In safe mode everything works fine. In safe mode with networking it works now and then as it freezes eventually when I'm connected to the internet.

I removed AVG and then re-installed it and I also installed it but without the resident shield. In both cases the laptop worked fine for and hour or so then the same problem surfaced when switched off then on again

I have defragged my HD, ran disk clean up. I have also ran a spy ware scan with spy ware terminator and spybot S+D and no issues where detected. Also i ran an anti virus scan with AVG when it was working ok for 15mins before freezing again. I have also done system restore, last good config and i have removed through msconfig all unwanted/unknown programs from start up.

I checked event monitor and it showed that at the time of the issue AVG, Zone alarm and another few systems couldn't find the same DLL. I then remembered a week or so before the issue that I removed some unused stuff from the registry. The laptop worked fine after the change tho. I then restored a registry back up that I had saved through CC Cleaner but no success either with this.

One unusual thing is that when I get onto my desktop my touchpad fails to work but I can use a wireless mouse ok and navigate ok. the touch pad works fine in safe mode.

The issue is still persisting and its driving me up the wall!!

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

W

Wolfeymole

Hello CrazyScotsman

Welcome to Free PC Help

God bless Registry Cleaners, NOT

Have you tried going into Safe Mode and choosing Last Known Good Configuration?

Hi there Wolfeymole,

Yeah the Last Known Good Configuration was one of the first thing that i had tried. I also done several system restores that i had saved and i've taken the restore back to august and i also done this with my registry backups but still no success

When on the desktop the touchpad and keyboard fails to response but i can get about with a wireless mouse for about 5 mins or so before it freezes. Then as i mentioned i cannot shut it down through the start menu or the start button.

At the moment i have removed AVG and Zonealarm as the issue surfaced when these two flagged error states/ddl files error. i have removed unwanted start up programs in msconnfig

I dont think its a virius/malware but something thats either at start up or in the registry

Any orther sugestions?

W

Wolfeymole

Please do Crazy and then we can investigate further.

Don't worry about not being covered by a firewall or antivirus for the moment in time.

Tony D

Free PC Help Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
This may be a crazy idea, but since the trackpad is giving you problems, try disabling it in Device Manager.

Hi all again.

Unfortunately i have not been able to run a scan with trend micro. here is what has happened since my last post....

I took my laptop into the lab in work and i ran some tests. The result showed that i had a faulty battery. When i removed the battery and worked from the mains socket all my issue's seemed to be resolved as the laptop is no longer freezing and the touchpad and keyboard are responding fine. I am also not receiving any more errors from the anti-virus.

What happened next tho was that for some reason all my services in computer management where disabled so i had to set these again to the default setting as advised on microsofts website. the issue i have now is that i cannot stay on the internet any longer than 5-10mins and no matter what i try i cannot remove zonealarm from the system either through add/remove programs, the program files on the c drive or from the registry.

Because of the connection issue, i have not been able to stay online long enough to run the scan.

I believe zone alarm is the culprit why i cannot stay on the internet long then 10mins because as it is still partially installed it may be running a sentinel like application somewhere

Many thanks guys for your help so far but any further advice on this would be fantastic.

W

Wolfeymole

If you can manage to stay connected long enough I would reinstall ZA again and then try to uninstall it.
Make sure you shut it down in the system tray before trying to do so.

If that doesn't work have a look here.

Hi wolfeymole,

Many thanks for the advice. I will give that a try tonight and i'll let you know how i get on.

The link you posted looks good so will try that if i have no joy with the reinstall/uninstall process.

Whoohoo! At last my laptop is working fine with no further problems.

Many Thanks Wolfeymole for the advice. The solution in the link you provided was superb and worked!

Thanks again for your time and the help.

W

Wolfeymole

Hey that's great to hear mate, tip the word to your friends about us in case they have problems of any kind.
Computer problems that is lol.
Marriage guidance is NOT included in FPCH's remit.