• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

windows installing on both drives!?

benski

FPCH New Member
I have installed an extra drive on my pc from an old computer to add more space. I recently had to reformat and reinstall windows from the recovery cds I made when the pc first was set up. Unforntunately I backed everything up on the extra drive, and windows was reinstalled on both drives! How can this happen and what can I do stop it in the future?
Help anyone.

W

Wolfeymole

Hello Benski

Welcome to Free PC Help

Ok, are you getting a dual boot startup scenario?
I.E, you have a choice between operating systems to boot to.
I'm thinking you have made a partition if this is the case.

Did you fit the new drive and then back up?

What exactly did you back up, if that's what you did, to the new drive?
You could not back the operating system up to a new drive only your settings.

benski

FPCH New Member
Hi, not very computer literate but will try my best....
I don't think I am booting from two drives, I have deleted and formatted the second drive since the recovery when windows was reinstalled on both drives. I think the computer was originally partitioned though, it had one hard drive partitioned into two with windows on one part etc. I took it to a shop and asked them to put in my old drive as a second back up type drive and use the existing drive as one with windows and programs etc. Is this what is causing problems?
The two drives were working fine until my anti spywhere flagged a file up that I then deleted causing the taskbar to disappear and various other bits not to work, I then made sure all my important stuff (emails etc) were on the second drive and started recovery. It then installed on both drives... this has happend twice now. I am not using the second drive now to back up as I do not want to lose anything should I attempt recovery again in the future.
Is this making any sense to you?

Edited by Wolfey to include screenshot:

Larger Image

W

Wolfeymole

Hi Ben

I'd move the C: drive to IDE 0 by transferring the ribbon cable to the IDE 0 connector.
Currently it resides on IDE 1

Move the "D:" drive to IDE 1, currently it resides on IDE 0

Your IDE arrangement may look like this. The connectors shown are labeled as IDE 1 (Blue) and IDE 2 (White), this is the modern arrangement.

Format the whole of that "D" drive once moved and make partitions in the process.

Make all partitions in the NTFS structure only.

If you are unsure regarding any of these instructions then get back to us.