• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Windows Live Mail not working

PC Experience
Very Experienced
I started WIndows Live Mail today and it just says "Connecting" all the time, never comes up with any new emails and no error messages. I rely on Windows Live Mail for all my email accounts and I can't receive my mail.

I thought I'd try one of the alternatives, Thunderbird seems to be the most popular, unfortunately I couldn't find a way to import my accounts from Live Mail so that wasn't any help.

Tony D

Free PC Help Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
I'd make sure you have the server setting correct. If they are, your email servers may be down temporarily. Can you get to your email using a browser, i.e. Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, etc?

Starbuck

Admin & Security Team
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Windows Live mail has been discontinued.
It's now 'Outlook'.
To get your emails, just login to www.hotmail.com enter your username and password.

RustyKnight

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Windows Live mail has been discontinued.
It's now 'Outlook'.
To get your emails, just login to www.hotmail.com enter your username and password.
Unfortunately that isn't possible, as my email account requires a POP3 email client. I haven't had a Hotmail address for a long time.

I rebooted the computer and the problem is fixed. I rely on Windows Live Mail, it has all my inboxes in one place.

Rustys

PC Experience
Very Experienced
Sorry about the delayed response have been moving

When you stated:
I thought I'd try one of the alternatives, Thunderbird seems to be the most popular, unfortunately I couldn't find a way to import my accounts from Live Mail so that wasn't any help.
Were you not able to find the import function or it did not import correctly? I use Thunderbird on Linux and the Import function is under Tools. Hope that helps and once again sorry about the delayed response.

PC Experience
Very Experienced
The import function didn't offer to import from Windows Live Mail, I found a website which said I needed an extension to import Windows Live Mail, but it didn't work either.

Live Mail seems OK again now so I'm not bothering, but thanks for replying.