• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

    Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

    In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

    If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Windows not booting. PLEASE HELP!


FPCH New Member
Jun 1, 2011
PC Experience
Some Experience
Hi. I've had my laptop for about 2 years now, and this morning when I turned it on, I left it and when I came back, the screen was full of "Deleting file...." and then a file name or code or something. So I just switched it off because I didn't know what it was. I then put in a Symatec ghost disc to see what the problem was before switching it back on, and when I tried to look on the C- Drive, it said it was corrupted or unreadable. When I did a virus scan though, it said there were no infected files... I've tried switching it back on but it says the only thing I can do is reset the hard drive to original factory settings. I use my laptop for uni and I'm terrified that I've just lost 2 years of work! I'm guessing it's been some kind of virus that's wiped it? Is there anything I can do? I know a bit about computers but I'm not great so please speak slowly and clearly ;) Any help would be much appreciated!!



FPCH Long Term Member
Jan 3, 2010
Cambridge UK
Hello Katie, welcome to Free PC Help

Could you tell us the make and model of you computer please. With this information we'll know if your laptop has a recovery partition or not.

As far as your personal data and files are concerned, subject to there not being a serious problem with the HDD it's self, you will probably be able to retrieve your data by using an external enclosure (Sometimes called a Caddy).

Whatever the problem turns out to be you should back up your data anyway. To do this you need to either borrow or buy an external enclosure that suits the HDD that you have. (No more than £10 to buy in the UK)...You will also need access to a healthy working computer. You will also have to remove the HDD from your laptop.


Oct 19, 2008
Wirral UK
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi Katie and welcome to FpcH

I have posted only so that you get another email ( reminder ).
I agree with Frank - get hold of an enclosure ( caddy ) and let's see if we can get at your files.
Your hard drive is 2.5 inch ( desktops are 3.5 inch ) and it will either be SATA or IDE depending upon how old your machine is.
Newer models tend to be SATA. The connections are different and if unsure we can advise.

You need to get an enclosure specific to the hard drive.
Top Bottom