• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Windows XP activation

bigmack73

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Operating System
Windows XP - Home Edition
I have Windows XP OEM version. Now after 3 years it tells me to activate it.

I was told that if I don't do this within 30 days it will not work again.

Very desperate!

I believe this is because of the Windows Validation tools that Microsoft have implemented recently. I believe you should activate it as I know someone who had the same problem and was locked out of their computer. It is strange that you have not had to activate the product before now. I assume it is a legal version and that you have the COA? Has someone else perhaps got your serial number and installed it and activated it - this could have triggered the WGA on your PC.

bigmack73

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Operating System
When I try to activate it, my background with no taskbar or icons show, it looks like it is trying to connect to the internet then it goes back to the login screen. I did find a WGA program in this forum on page 2 or 3, the details of the program is that it said it would fix that problem. Does the computer contact Microsoft to activate it? If it does, that could be a problem as I use DSL as a connection.

Jamey

FPCH Member
How would having DSL as your internet connection type make a difference? I have activated Windows on both cable and DSL connections. Try activating when you are logged in, this will allow you to determine the cause more effectively. The WGA remover is for machines which have wrongly been identified as non-genuine, I doubt it is legal by Microsoft's terms to use it.

Microsoft have an official article on the matter: How to activate Windows XP

bigmack73

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Operating System
I can't login as it tells me to activate it first.

Jamey

FPCH Member
Your best option is to phone Microsoft technical support then. Simply explain the situation, they wrote the software and must help if you are a customer with a legitimate license for Windows.

However, if your machine came preinstalled with Windows, your computer manufacturer are likely to be the ones responsible for technical support.

Update: Sorry, that second paragraph really didn't make sense, I've changed it to what I meant. :rolleyes:

W

Wolfeymole

This thread appears to be solved and is now closed
If you are the original poster of this thread and need it re-opened, then please PM (Private Message) an Administrator or Moderator