• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Windows XP and SP2

Rog2007

FPCH Member
Hi

I bought a second hand computer that had windows XP already installed, but it didn't have Service Pack 2. I tried to download it from the Mirocsoft site, but it said I cant as the XP on my machine is not a legitimate registered version. So how do I get SP2 on to my machine?

Regards

Roger

maynardvdm

FPCH Long Term Member
You will have to get a legal copy of Windows XP and then download service pack 2 of the net. You can also just buy a licence from Microsoft directly.
Obviously the place or person you got the pc from used an illegal copy of windows XP.

W

Wolfeymole

Hello Rog

Welcome to Free PC Help

As Maynard just said you will have to obtain a legal version of Windows XP which should incorporate SP2 in it.

W

Wolfeymole

If that disk you have is a burned copy of XP then all the licenses in the world won't help you Rog.
Do you have the disk, if so what does it say on it?

Rog2007

FPCH Member
No I don't have the disk. But do you mean if a copy was used instead of an original, then I can't purchase a licence?

W

Wolfeymole

That's right Rog.

You will have to buy a brand new version of XP and install it and activate it.

This is the down side when buying second hand gear mate.

bert

FPCH New Member
Rog2007 said:
Hi

I bought a second hand computer that had windows XP already installed, but it didn't have Service Pack 2. I tried to download it from the Mirocsoft site, but it said I cant as the XP on my machine is not a legitimate registered version. So how do I get SP2 on to my machine?

Regards

Roger

Rog2007

FPCH Member
Hi again. I've now got a new copy of Windows XP. Can I use the product activation key to legitimise my system or do I have to install it, which will wipe all my data. Roger

W

Wolfeymole

That new version should come with SP2 enabling you to go all legal.

How much stuff do you have in the way of programs, personal stuff etc?

You could always back them up to a cd or dvd disk.

Rog2007

FPCH Member
I do have a second hard drive fitted, will it be Ok to back up on that? I just wandered if I could change the activiation key, so I don't have to re-install all the software.

W

Wolfeymole

Unfortunately no as that old edition could have been installed from a burned copy of XP, this is why it's telling you that XP "is not a legitimate registered version".

You should have a folder that contains all your .exe (program) files, say Downloads for example.
Just cut and paste that plus all your personal stuff to the other drive.
You will not be allowed to move windows files, not that you need to.

Do a brand new install of your new XP, go to microsoft and get it activated.

Keep in mind that you will need your system drivers to hand when you do install.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
You may be able to use your key and get away with a "repair" install that won't affect your programs, docs, pictures, etc.

Repair install of Windows XP by starting your computer from the Windows XP CD

To reinstall Windows XP by starting your computer from the Windows XP CD, follow these steps:
1. Insert the Windows XP CD into your computer's CD drive or DVD drive, and then restart your computer.
2. When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message appears on the screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

Note Your computer must be configured to start from the CD drive or DVD drive. For more information about how to configure your computer to start from the CD drive or DVD drive, see your computer's documentation or contact your computer manufacturer.
3. You receive the following message on the Welcome to Setup screen that appears:
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation by using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
4. Press ENTER to set up Windows XP.
5. On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
6. Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.

Note If Windows XP was preinstalled on your computer, and you do not have the Repair option, contact your computer manufacturer to make sure that you have the installation CD for a repair install.
7. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to reinstall Windows XP. After you repair Windows XP, you may have to reactivate your copy of Windows XP.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Continued from above:

After some more thought, instead of the repair install, just call Microsoft. As long as you now have a legit product key, they should be able to activate it over the phone. Try to get SP2 again, and follow the prompts to contact MS.

Rog2007

FPCH Member
I installed the new one instead and it's working OK. The only problem is, I can't access my second hard drive where I back everything up. When I go to My Computer, Drive F isn't there. But in the device manage, it says it's working OK. Any ideas?

W

Wolfeymole

Ok right click on My Computer and chose Manage.
Then click on Disk Management and tell us if it shows now.