• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Windows XP freezes

hi

I have just put a new motherboard in my computer and i have to run the recovery CD to reboot windows.

when ever i do this tho it installs all the start up files but when it trys to start windows it freezes and doesn't do anything at all.

does anyone have any ideas on why this is and what i can do to solve it?

Regards
Ray

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
You might be out of luck, as a recovery cd's drivers are meant for the original motherboard. Other possible problems:

1) The ram may not be compatible with your new motherboard.

2) Disconnect any third party devices then run the recovery again. This is especially true for usb devices and video cards. Are you using a separate video card and does the new mobo have onboard video?

the ram came with the motherboard and this worked fine in the other computer i took it out off.

i am using a seperate video card yes and no the motherboard does not have onboard raphics

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
inzanehunting said:
the ram came with the motherboard and this worked fine in the other computer i took it out off.
I'm confused.

You said the motherboard was new and the ram came with it, so what "worked fine" in the other computer?

Did the install complete? Can you get into Safe Mode or VGA Mode?

Another option would be to use a regular xp cd and not the recovery cd. The only main problem with doing that, is a regular xp cd might not accept your xp product key.

W

Wolfeymole

So, Hunting are you saying that you got a motherboard and memory from machine (A) to put into machine (B) and the original XP disk belonged to machine (B)?

If this is the case, as Seth said, it won't work as the Recovery disk is specifically endowed with the original hardware parameters.

What you may get away with is if you have the original XP disk that belonged to machine (A) and use that.