• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Windows XP laptop & working remotely

Jackie

FPCH New Member
Hi All

Have a laptop running Windows XP Pro, my place of work is running Windows Server 2003 SBS, and my work PC is running Windows 2000.

I am using Logmein to connect remotley to my work PC and have had no trouble using my stanard home PC which also is running Windows XP, however, I now have a laptop and when I connect remotely to my works PC my keyboard does not work but my mouse does.

I really can't understand this, does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Jackie

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Welcome to Free PC Help Jackie.

I don't know much about remote connecting, but we have at least one member that does. He usually checks in at least once a day. I'll Private Message him so he sees your post.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Hmmm. I wonder if it's your security software or firewall that's causing the problem. I would try temporarily disabling both, then see if the keyboard is ok.

Tony D

Free PC Help Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
I use LogMeIn frequently and never had the problem that you describe. Actually, I've never had any problem at all.

I use the free version. My targets are all XP machines and I access them from either a Mac or an XP machine. I haven't tried access with a Vista machine. Is the new laptop Vista?

The only thing I can think of is that the LogMeIn software needs to be reloaded on the target PC. However that wouldn't explain why the standard home PC is connecting OK.

Jackie

FPCH New Member
The laptop was downgraded to XP. I am just going to try the firewall option that Seth suggested.

Will let you know what happens

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi jackie;
I'm not familiar with the software but Kelly is. Kelley is a top notch person so pay attention to anything he says.

He might tell you that you need to install the program on your XP as he stated. Especially since you 'downgraded' from Vista I assume.

In any case post back all information and wait for ideas. Like I said Kelley uses this program and might have an idea with what you post back.

If I read your posts wrong feel free to correct me.
RandyL

Tony D

PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
Jackie - here's another thought. What browser are you using on the laptop to connect to the work PC? You're probably using either Internet Explorer or Firefox. Which ever one you're using, try using the other browser and see if you get the same results.

Jackie

FPCH New Member
Hi Kelly

Thank you for the information, I am at work at the moment. So I will try your options as soon as I get home and let you know how it goes.

I did connect the laptop to my work PC from another location within the works building and it worked fine, would this be because I am connecting through the same network though?

Jackie

Tony D

PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
That suggests so something in your home router is blocking the keyboard. However, I can't think of what. Besides, your desktop computer is connecting correctly. Have you tried connecting to the work machine with the laptop from other locations other than your work and home networks?

Tony D

PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
What are you running for malware protection? I found this on logmein's forum.

"The new Trend Micro Internet Security Pro version comes with a 'Transaction Protector' feature. This feature's purpose is to protect the user's keystrokes over wireless connections. This feature is either installed or uninstalled. No disable option is available.

The uninstall option is available from the main admin console of TM. Go to "Pro Services" link and remove checkmark from "Transaction..." Restart the pc and all is well."