• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Windows xp pro. troubles

Garmak

FPCH Member
Hi there,I'm new to this so forgive me if I'm not very clear when explaining my problem,which is-when I switch off my pc it won't start up again.Someone told me to press F8 and continue from a previous starting point,which I did,but is there any way of fixing this without having to do this?Today it took me half an hour before it finally accepted the F8 button after switching off/on a few times.Any help would be greatly appreciated,thanks.

W

Wolfeymole

Hello Garmak

Welcome to Free PC Help

Accessing Safe Mode by pressing F8 has to be just right or you may encounter a keyboard error.
However you managed to do so, so if you are still having problems you may need to repair the operating system, do you have the XP disk to hand?

Garmak

FPCH Member
Hi Wolfeymole

No I don't have anything with this pc.I bought it off someone so don't have any of the original disks.Is there no way to fix this without them?

Bluesplayer.

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows XP - Professional
Hi you are shutting down your system correctly..not just pulling the plug?
Sorry had to be asked.
And you are Tapping F8 at startup not just pressing F8?

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
When you say "it won't start up again", do you mean:

1) There are no lights, fan noise, and nothing is displayed on the monitor? OR

2) You have the above, but XP doesn't complete its startup sequence?

Garmak

FPCH Member
Hi

Yes I'm shutting down correctly.Tapping F8,but as I say this takes a few tries before I get in.When I switch on I get the usual sounds then the fans cut off and all I'm left with is a black screen with a flashing cursor in the left corner.Really frustrating!

W

Wolfeymole

This sounds like your cpu heatsink and fan are clogged with dust Garmak and therefore overheating, give them a thorough dust off with a can off compressed air.
In fact give the whole pc a good clean out while your at it.

Garmak

FPCH Member
Thanks

Thanks everyone for your help and time,I'll strip the pc down now and get back and let you know how I get on.

Garmak

FPCH Member
Hello again Wolfeymole

Stripped everything down and done as suggested but to no avail.Took me another 10mins before F8 let me in.Someone suggested that my windows files are corrupted,is there anyway of restoring it with the files in my hardrive as I don't have the orig. cd?

W

Wolfeymole

Unless you have a Recovery partition on the hard drive Garmak the answer's no.
What you could do is borrow a friends disk to repair the system files.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
It's starting to sound like your hard drive is failing.

Once you get xp up and running, go to Start, Run, and type in "chkdsk /f" without the quotes and a space between the K and the /. Press Y at the next screen that appears and restart the computer to initiate hard drive error checking.