• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Windows XP - Problem mainly running games, blue screen of death

Needles

FPCH New Member
Hi there! I'm having a bit of a problem with Windows XP Home Edition 2002.

I got this PC a couple of months ago, and have ever since struggled to run most of my games. Most of the games I tried to run ended up with the computer seemingly overheating, there would be a clicking noise in the tower, and then the blue screen would come up and say something about a 'memory dump' or something.

Now, it was annoying, but I just forgot about it as I could still run some graphically limited games, e.g. Broken Sword 1 and 2, Cossacks: Back to War and Football Manager 2006/2007. I recently bought Football Manager 2008, the latest in the series, and the blue screen of death problem is occurring when I play this. It allows me to play for around an hour or so and then shuts down on me.

So now I want to try and sort this problem out, because FM08 is really the only game I play when I get the time to. I've aksed a lot of people before, and I'm sure it might have something to do with my graphics card, as it is an integrated one that came with the computer, so won't be that brilliant or that powerful. Then again my knowledge of hardware is extremely limited.

I did doubt it was the graphics card recently as it has started, on occassion, to seemingly overheat and bring up the same Blue screen if I have a few internet explorer windows open, or a few programs running.

I have posted some pictures so you can get a bit of an idea of the sort of set up I'm running, any help or advice will be extremely well recieved and I will be very grateful.

Thankyou very much for your help, I hope to hear from you soon. :)

Jamey

FPCH Member
It sounds like your machine is overheating. Make sure that it is well ventilated. The vents at the back, front and side of the machine must have enough air space to allow circulation to occur. They should not be positioned directly next to a wall or other hard surface. Also, make sure no cables are in the way of the air moving.

The next thing to do is to unplug your machine, take the case side off and carefully suck out any loose dust particles. You can do this very carefully with the nozzle of a vacuum cleaner. Make sure there is no dust left on the heatsink and fan that sits on top of your processor, the chipset fans (if any) and the power supply units. Just basically clear the innards and outside of your machine of any dust.

Finally, once you have positioned your machine for maximum ventilation with no blocks of the vents and cleared it of dust, you should start it up and check the temperatures with a program like

Needles

FPCH New Member
Thanks very much, I'll bear that in mind and give it a try! According to this temperature checking progrsm I have it's 37 degrees Celsius at the moment, which is the recommended temperature I believe.

However I do think that there is still something up with my hardware, do you really think that if I start a game up and it instantly crashes on me and goes to the blue screen that it has done that because of overheating? If so that's pretty fast overheating.

Anyway, any hardware experts out there? I could still do with some advice. (Yours hasn't gone unappreciated though Jamey :))