• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Windows xp security centre icon - fake

PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Windows XP - Media Center Edition
Hey all
I have what appears on my desktop which looks like the windows security icon which pops up every now and then saying "The system has detedcted active spyware which may impact performance. Click here to download an uptodate anti-spyware solution. I stupidly clicked on it and a page opened like the security centre one with a list of software - virusrange,virus heal asking me to download. However when i open up the security centre manual it does not have these options. Im guessing fake!
Annoying thing is i cant remove it.

danzil

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
that is indeed fake...this variant add registrys entries tio allow mailware etc to neter your machine...
go to www.trendmicro.com and do a full scan.......
then download ewido update that and do a full system scan.......

if this icon is still there after this run this scan http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm you should be ok after this

if not post back.i have some more suggestions.
regards
danzil

danzil

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
do as above if you still have this bug.......onecare scan is great at picking up this mailware
regards
danzil